B&Q prices.

Quite a common job to replace a mortice latch. I usually keep a few in the van.

Been using the Toolstation one for years. £0.70. Never had a comeback on one.

one yesterday & didn't have one in the van, had to go to B&Q.

£5.48!!!!!!!

Thieving bar stewards. 680% more!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> Wanted one yesterday & didn't have one in the van, had to go to B&Q. >

WOT! No trade card ;-)

Reply to
RCW

Is that all. That must have been one of the deepest cuts in their sale

Reply to
Hugh - Was Invisible

That has been said in here before.

Their pricing seems to have little reference to competition or the outside world. I only go in for emergencies even though they are the only store within a mile of me.

Last thing I wanted was one of those wire brushes that goes in an angle grinder. Usually in a pack of them for £4, in B&Q a Stanley one for £24. Plugs, sockets, bulbs, plumbing fittings, all daft prices.

Reply to
Ericp

>>> Wanted one yesterday& didn't have one in the van, had to go to B&Q. >>

Agreed - and it really ticks me off that they have stopped selling cable by the metre. If I want 3 metres - then I want 3 metres - not a roll with 5 metres on it.

Reply to
Ret.

It failed the 'trade card lottery'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

>>> Wanted one yesterday& didn't have one in the van, had to go to B&Q. >>

Same here.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You mean "how can they do it so cheaply!"

*These* are the thieving bar stewards:
|cat_14418707|Door+Locks|14113460Tinyurl:
mick

Maplin still do it, I noticed yesterday. Although not the heavy duty stuff.

I was lucky last time I needed cable in a hurry. The pack B&Q had was exactly the length I wanted.

Reply to
Bob Eager

At a price that you didn't want:-)

Reply to
ARWadsworth

TLC Direct will cut cable to whatever you want. If you have a branch handy. And its cheap.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

'Kinell!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It was the day after Boxing Day and I needed to install an electric oven, on pain of nasty things from SWMBO. Actually, it wasn't as expensive as I feared....I could have gone to Homebase!

Reply to
Bob Eager

This was stuff for an oven - I have drums of most other stuff.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You do know that dennis will now report you to the part p police.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

soft furnishings and tacky kitchen and bathroom store nowadays,

mind, not too long ago wilkinsons did cable off the reel, as well as cheap sockets and back boxes etc, no more cable reels, and the electrical fittings have trippled in price, so no longer any value at all,

I really miss Germany and france, their DIY stores are out of this world, Praktika, OBI, Bauhaus, then Leroy Merlin, Mr Bricolage etc, Not to mention the hypermarkets all do a fairly decent range of diy stuff, amongst everything else from car 3 or 4 isles of car parts to pet products that make pets at home look like a dodgy back street pet shack.

and no visit to Germany is complete without a visit to Conrads, it's what Maplins could have been if they kept up supplying electronic and electrical components, instead of switching to toys and tacky gadgets, Conrads have separate areas (about the size of most maplins stores) just for 'toys' but they sell radio controlled stuff (nitro and petrol buggies, planes, helicopters, model trains in all the popular gauges etc), and the cable cutting machine.... a couple of hundred different reels on a motorized rack, with auto measurers and winders for the cables as they come off the spool,

You can even buy english 13 amp plugs and sockets there too, but they are sold for use with their solar panels/low voltage connections!!!

Reply to
Gazz

If they charge 600% more and are ripping people off they would be making 60% profit in their accounts.

But the don't.

Why not?

These other costs must come from somewhere so what is that (and don't mention director's "fatcat" salaries, they are a drop in the ocean of a corporate's total spend)

tim

Reply to
tim....

Of course..! I'm only a member of the IET, after all....

Reply to
Bob Eager

> Wanted one yesterday & didn't have one in the van, had to go to B&Q. >

Caveat Emptor

Reply to
Rick Hughes

If you think B&Q is expensive then I'm gob smacked at you mentioning Obi and Leroy-Merlin as alternatives. Both are hideously expensive and fail to stock essential DIY components. They are palaces of tat for the middle classes selling hand decorated (painted) taps and twee cast iron pumps, stand pipes and brass taps shaped like fish for the sort of gardener who watches TV gardeners.

If you want a "lawn tractor" that isn't fit for purpose they will sell you one alongside pointless Chinese pergolas that fall to pieces in the first storm. The aren't even good at what they do, stores like Uno Più outdo them in the middle class tat stakes.

Reply to
Steve Firth