At home or in the house?

One basic ambiguity in the new guidelines seems to be whether or not staying at home equals staying indoors. The various Facebook groups for my area have seen a good few posts saying "But can I go out into the garden, not just once a day for the permitted outdoor exercise but as often as I like?".
On 24/03/2020 11:14, Bert Coules wrote:

In this modern world the term Common Sense seems to be becoming a misnomer. Surely, by now everyone has heard that the virus is spread by droplets, directly and via contact with surfaces. Armed with this knowledge, what possible reason would there be for people not to go into their garden?
On 24/03/2020 11:35, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

strong winds and a sneezing neighbour?
Last advice I heard was you can go out into the garden but stay 2m away fro m any boundary. Domestic management who is having chemo has just got a text that seems to contradict that advice being told to stay indoors and try an d keep a distance even in there. I notice that earlier published informatio n cited diabetes as a high risk factor but no mention on NHS 111 when I wen t on yesterday and seems to have been dropped from advice on the TV.
Richard
On Tue, 24 Mar 2020 11:35:54 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

With a bit of care I and the neighbours can all be in the gardens and 5m apart. On a walk the other day I stayed upwind of almost everyone apart from 2 separate pairs of cyclist, but it was very windy and they're past in a coupel of seconds, so just a chance...!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

We try to do that but people do seem to often follow the general rule_of_the_road and walk / cycle on the left.
Therefore, in our typically 5 miles loop walk, we will cover all points of the compass as we do so, meaning we will be on the downwind side of the path during some of it (as is only fair).
We both wear glasses so that might just help a bit and hold our breath as we pass people (but not obviously). ;-)
I do wonder how many people know what 2m (of social separation) actually is / looks like?
Cheers, T i m
On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 14:23:06 UTC, T i m wrote:

well we all know what 6 inches is.
I did think of something they could say. Stay 2 metres away or end up 6ft under.

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 11:35:59 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

ps for

You might get asked to do the gardening ;-)
On 24/03/2020 11:35, snipped-for-privacy@aolbin.com wrote:

If what happened in other countries is to be taken as an example then the pattern will be as follows:
- government will give it between one and two weeks and look tat the numbers. - If there is a drop in new cases, then all is well and continue for the full 3 weeks and assess - If there is no drop after the 1-2 weeks (i.e. people are not getting the message) then more enforcement will be introduced.
Personally I suspect that the expected/imminent sharp rise in cases and deaths will sharpen people's minds.
Only those who are not aware of what is going on already inside every hospital in the country take this lightly. Have a quick chat to a doctor or a nurse and you won't sleep for the rest of the week...

It cant with this because what they have done is so variable.

That isnt what has happened in most of them.

Ditto.

That isnt what has happened in many other countrys.

I did that to more than one and have slept fine.
On 11:18 24 Mar 2020, Jim GM4DHJ ... said:

The brain? :)
On 24/03/20 12:37, Pamela wrote:

No doubt.
And it rejected him.
--

Jeff

On 11:18 24 Mar 2020, Jim GM4DHJ ... said:

The brain? :)
The official announcement on gov.uk/coronavirus actually uses the wording "You should only leave *the house* for one of four reasons" - so there at least, staying at home does equal staying inside.
But there's ambiguity in that document too: one of the permitted reasons is "one form of exercise a day". One form? So strictly speaking, twenty separate walks a day is fine, ten walks and ten bike rides is not. I know I'm splitting hairs but I do wish that these things could be written by people who know how to use the language. If you mean "one period of exercise" then say so.
On 24/03/2020 13:29, Bert Coules wrote:

Unfortunately, the correct use of grammatical constructions started to die when clause analysis was removed from English Grammar O levels. One of my pet hates, which appears to be spreading almost as quickly as Covid-19, is "the below". Examples from the Screwfix website include: "the below criteria" and "the below locations"; where did this start? Why is it so difficult to type "the following criteria" or "the criteria below"? (Nurse, it's time for my medication - whilst waiting for someone to spot a grammatical error in the "above text" ;-) ?

It would also help if the authors were not townies.
--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Just read the “Boris text” SWAMBO got and it specifically i n her case says stay in your home, you can open a window but do not go outs ide. So it seems she cannot even do the one form of exercise either.

Plenty of exercise machine available on line, or at least there were...
Tim
--
Please don't feed the trolls

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 16:34:30 UTC, Tim+ wrote:

Yes, so essential to the nation's health that Sports Direct wanted to stay open, then when they couldn't, they put their prices up.
Owain
On 24/03/2020 16:45, snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com wrote:

Cheapest publicity ever. Make stupid statement you have no intention of following. Await outrage online. Perform U-turn. Get even more publicity. He'll leverage that publicity again when he does open the stores.