Apprentice with a tape measure problem

Electrified door handles (as elsewhere)... aka "Correctional Therapy" ;-)

Reply to
Jim K..

With a rebel yell?

Reply to
Jim K..

A simple job. I left him in a pub car park to measure the length of two fences for an outside socket.

30 minutes later he came into the pub (where I was fixing the CCTV and not drinking) to tell me that his tape measure was not long enough.
Reply to
ARW

It took him 30 minutes to unwind 3 or 5 metres of tape ??.

You should have given him a Stanley tape measure made for the USA domestic market, and calibrated in Feet and Inches, just for added amusement.

Reply to
Andrew

He'll be able to measure in inches.

Up to about six, anyway :-)

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Did he not have a marker with him then? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This is what I say about education though. They give them the facts but not how to apply them or think it through logically themselves. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

That was what University was for, these days its just more facts and no thought.

Reply to
dennis

I'd have given him a vernier calipier and said use this they are far more accurate.

Obviously jeremy corbyn thinks this sort of person is worth £10 an hour.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Could it be he was winding you up? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But is that compared to Jeremy Corbyn's intellect or his income?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

We should have stayed in the trees.

It was a mistake teaching the times tables by rote, they became bankers and accountants ;-(

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

If he is then he is doing a good job. The same useless bastard could not get out of a house last week because "the door was locked". It never occurred to him that the door (like almost every other door in the UK) opened inwards.

Reply to
ARW

;-)

Reply to
jkn

What qualifications are needed for the position?

I would have thought O level standards in maths and a science subject would be a must.

I know the goverment has spent years screwing Britains educational system up, but one or two must have escaped with some ability to think?

I assume the tape was 1 cm by X metres?

Show him how to measure a beermat using the width of the tape.

Start a lottery to see if he has the nous to translate the idea to a more longitudinal measuring approach. AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

O level standards went 30 years ago.

Reply to
ARW

Adam should have taken the tape measure off him, given him a 1ft ruler, and sent him back to try again.

Reply to
Tim Streater

???

What does an apprentice need then?

I knew Ohms law before leaving secondary school.

Never really needed much more. Just an appreciation of I^R effects and an ability to factor in reactance.

Never had problems with the theory on mechanical measurements.

Used to measure twice, cut once. Sadly these days after the second measurement I can never find the paper I put the first one on.

By the third Measurement I have lost the pen :-(

AB

Reply to
Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp

We've had the handles removed on all the push doors to stop students pulling them. But then again it is rather silly wasting money putting pull handles on push doors.

Reply to
whisky-dave

It's surprising the number of doors that have "pull" signs and handles on them which are, in fact, also pushable.

Reply to
Andy Burns