Apprentice managed to lose a days pay

8am this morning he said that he was waiting for an important call and could he keep his phone with him. I said yes and that if I caught him using the phone for anyother reason he would lose a days pay.

Any guesses at what time he lost the days pay?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

8.00am and one second..... :-)

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen H

8:05 AM
Reply to
Steve Firth
10 30 ish?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I do feel that smartphones particularly are addictive, and maybe there needs to be some form of counselling for this.

Personally I have not ventured down this alley, as I do like to be out of touch at times just like we all used to be.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

8:12?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Now if the Subject: was worded a little differently I'd say this is one of the brighter spark apprentices and he refrained from using his phone, took the important call and then handed his phone over, keeping days pay and earninga brownie point or three.

But as the Subject: is worded as it is 0803.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I think smartphones warrent their own entry in the survival "rule of threes": 3 weeks without food, 3 days without water, 3 hours without shelter, 3 minutes without air, 3 seconds without facebook.

Reply to
Caecilius

That's simple; you just ignore it or switch it off. I regard most phone calls as intrusions and uninvited, so the caller can take their chances whether I'm available or not.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Yep and with caller ID you can decide if you want to speak to them before answering as well. If I'm busy well tough that's what voice mail or answering machines are for...

I find it very rude of people who must answer every call they get instantly without an apology to me for the interuption to our conversation. All it takes is a glance at the phone, and "Sorry, must answer this" if they *really* do need to answer it, which TBH isn't likely to be every call they get.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Ah yes, but why have one if you are not going to use it much. I have a basic phone and often only take it with me because I might be let down by transport.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I have not bought one of the talking caller thingies, as the voice is an intrusion in itself and they seem to have screwed up the mobile version of this. It cannot say simple words.Cyril for example comes out as sigh rill

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

It was 8:29am.

Working on a new build with no toilet and I told him I was going for a piss. I just walked around the building and watched him through the window using his phone.

I did not need a piss, I just wanted to catch him using the mobile phone.

Reply to
ARW

American pronunciation. Like Colin Powell. Pronounced Coe-lin.

Reply to
harry

So who gets the prize?

Reply to
harry

It's not worth winnng - it was his days wage.

Reply to
ARW

Work is a terrible intrusion into ones social life.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why would anyone even begin to want to work for you?

Presumably, as you weren't paying him for the day, he went home at 8.30? Or did you expect him to keep working for nothing just because you are such a truly lovely person?

Reply to
GB

I have a mobile phone, that is what it is, a phone. If I want a camera I buy one. I also have an e reader, now my daughter wants one, but she wants it combined with...., so is having awful trouble deciding which "tablet" to buy. She claims that she does not want to carry different gadgets with her, so want a combi. Mind you perhaps I should buy one with a decent memory, as mine is failing!

Reply to
Broadback

But having a decent camera built into a smartphone means I always have a decent camera with me, and am able to send the pictures taken immediately to other people in high quality. Much better than having to say "hang on half an hour while I go and get my camera, find it the batteries have lost charge since I last used it, charge them up and get ready to take a photo". I find I have many more pictures that I like and keep just because it takes me a few seconds to get the camera ready and take the photo.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan