Apprentice and Hex keys

Third year apprentice (one of the best we have had) was having trouble putting the meter tails into the mains isolator on some new builds.

He was having difficulty tightening up the hex screws.

One answer in the office was "You have a shit set of Allen keys"

In his defence he replied "They are brand new I only got them on Saturday and I paid for the most expensive of the two pairs available as I don't want shit tools"

Anyone care to guess what went wrong:-)?

Reply to
ARW

Imperial vs metric?

Reply to
Jeff Layman

Torx, not hex?

Reply to
alan_m

torx ing to much.

Reply to
invalid

Aldi?

Lefty loosey righty tighty?

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

+1

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am not sure that I would want to use an all metal tool in that situation, unless I knew the incoming supply was not connected.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Indeed.

But at least he came in and said he had a problem. And the problem is now sorted.

Obviously never heard of the word imperial before and was amazed at the markings on the tool that he had never noticed.

Reply to
ARW

Oh dear, how will he cope when £sd and feet inches and roods come back ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Where the h does your brainless boss get these kids?

Reply to
tabbypurr

From schools.

Reply to
ARW

<weg>

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

My favourite is 4 X 2 wood (nominally 4 inches by 2 inches) yet sold in metre lengths so you get things like :-

"two metres of 4 bay 2"

Reply to
soup

I recall some years ago needing to disconnect and and later reconnect some tails to a henley block. This was an old TN-S install with one of the dodgy pre-war metal clad main cutouts, with ceramic fuse carriers. So I did not fancy having to pull the fuse. Normally a quick tail removal, and replacement on a live henley is easy enough with a set of VDE screw drivers.

So this time I was a bit distressed to discover the henley terminals were hex headed, and I did not have an insulated hex driver.

Fortunately I did have some hex bits of the right size and a magnetic bit holder. So the easiest thing to do was tape up the holder so there was no exposed metalwork, and then stick it in my (all plastic bodied) cordless drill and use that!

Reply to
John Rumm

Understandable, metric has been taught in schools for the past 40+ years.

Reply to
alan_m

Was it ever 2" x 4"?

Reply to
alan_m

No. It was 4" x 2"

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

Some people always get the wrong end of the stick.

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Yes. Before it was planed.

Reply to