Apprentice

We've had an apprentice in this week.

He fainted on Monday morning, presumably due to the pressure of being on his feet/awake/taking in info. He flooded the place out on Wed. And he doesn't eat his crusts.

The future is bright.

Reply to
R D S

Needs to drink more fluid like water.

I think that nothing really changes. You go to university to learn the theory, but only life teaches you the practice and the logic of where and how to use said knowledge. Brian Who missed out the University bit, as it seemed a waste of time.

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Good university degree programmes (like the ones I taught on) included a

1 year industrial placement, a real job.
Reply to
Bob Eager

though it's just too hard to find companies prepared to provide the placements, nowadays

tim

Reply to
tim...

Never our experience. Currently all students who want one get a placement

- well over a hundred every year. That includes IBM, Intel, Morgan Stanley, Thomson Reuters, Ford, HP, Maclaren, and a load of smaller companies as well as other large ones.

Reply to
Bob Eager

really

it was tough to find placements 30 years ago when I did mine and all the examples I have seen since is that it has got tougher

I note that the Uni close to me make the industrial year an option on their courses. If you get a placement you do it. if you don't you go straight to year 3. That can only be because the Uni know that they can't place everybody

tim

Reply to
tim...

Obviously depends on the uni. We placed everyone who wanted a placement. They had to apply competitively (unlike a sandwich year, where the jobs are effectively handed out by the uni).

Reply to
Bob Eager

one of us has misunerstood

we are talking about sandwich years

tim

Reply to
tim...

Are we? Year in Industry is very commonly called a sandwich year. The result is the same - work for a year in a real job.

My point remains, that some better universities do this right. The student gets a real job for a year, part way through their studies. They return for their final year with good experience of the 'real world'.

Reply to
Bob Eager

The company I used to work for provided 1 year industry (electronics) placements but only after the student passed a tough recruitment interview. The majority passing the interviews tended to be those who were very self motivated and got most out of the experience being given more responsible (supervised) roles on multiple projects. The few who managed to get in and treated it as just something to do for a year tended to be given more menial tasks.

Reply to
alan_m

is that a question, or a statement?

If the first, the answer is yes

if the second it seems contradictory to your previous position.

But it's not the universities that magic up the jobs.

They need contacts will these real employers, prepared to put in the resources of training the wet behind the ears, never worked, part trained individuals who are guaranteed to leave within a year.

many don't see that as worthwhile

I wasn't disagreeing with the advantages for the student

Reply to
tim...

The Volvo service receptionist who looked after my car told me that he started working for Volvo whilst studying engineering and design. He did

1000 hours in their workshop, then decided to stay on at the garage and not go back to his course. He struck me as very capable, so a win for the employer, really.
Reply to
GB

It's usually pretty good. It would have got my son a job at the end. Except the company was Sun, and they had a bit of a problem just then...

(He's doing OK now, at least partly thanks to you Bob!)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I'm not sure who you are IRL (you probably told me in the past), but thanks! We did manage to re-assign (at very short notice) the two who had been at Lehman Brother for just three weeks. The morning the news broke, IBM rang the department and asked if there was anyone we had at Lehmans, and if so, could they have them?!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I hope they've done OK. Matt did work for IBM for quite a while, but quit recently. They aren't the power they used to be.

If that's enough for you to work out who I am, please don't tell everyone.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I agree. I know of a couple of fairly recent graduates who have moved on.

It isn't, quite! The news...email address should work for me.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I did a conventional 3 year degree. A school friend that I'd temporarily lost tough with started work and then did the exact same degree, at the same place, over 4 years, part-time. If I had my time again, I'd prefer the latter option.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker