Anyone tried using a hot glue gun to bind books?

If there is someone out there with a hot glue gun, what do you think the chances are of it sticking the spine of a paperback book, e.g. 350 pages? I've looked at a number of paperbacks and they are all glued, like the Argos catalogue, for example. The pages could be roughened at the binding edge, held in a clamp of some sort (easy to make), and the hot glue applied.

Another idea I had was to use iron-on edging strip.

MM

Reply to
MM

Try a fabric binding heat applied material.

Reply to
EricP

It'll stick it, but you won't be able to use it. Bookbinders use a rubbery PVA glue for this sort of job.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

How many? You want something like

dennis

But phone books, Argos catalogues etc are not bound with PVA, are they? The binding looks like it's been done in a thermal binding machine, i.e. using hot glue. As do most of the recent paperbacks on my bookshelf. I am hoping to avoid the cost of a thermal binder!

MM

Reply to
MM

Do you mean like WundaWeb for hemming? I did consider that, too, but I think it may be a little flimsy. (Although two or three layers could do the trick.)

MM

Reply to
MM

I have used one of these to bind reports at a previous job. You placed plastic glue strip at bottom, inserted and clamped paper, turned on via timer for a minute or two + minute or two cooling time and hey presto nice bound report.Not fast but better than A4 folder and/or spiral bound thing. Can use tranparent front/rear covers but make sure they are "laser proof" or else they just melt and crinkle in the glue and make a mess.

Reply to
Ian_m

Well PVA the blighter then! It's cheap!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

===================== Try using an old fashioned gauze bandage and Copydex or similar rubbery adhesive. The method is called 'perfect binding' if you want to google for more information.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

The message from "Cicero" contains these words:

Mostly because it's anything but!

Reply to
Guy King

I've done this with hot-melt glue, placed on a fabric strip, heated on a hot plate so it goes into one gooey lump.

Place fabric strip on some foil - to stop it sticking to the hotplate. Place clamped aligned book back on hot plate, along with the heated fabric/glue. Press down firmly while still on the hot plate for some seconds. Slide foil off hot plate onto cold surface. Allow to cool for several minutes. Trim, and iron edges back. Alternatively, there are progessional book-binders.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yup, I have used one of these to bind reports at a previous job. You placed

Ian_m, how many pages?

MM

Reply to
MM

All excellent suggestions! Thanks to all respondents!

MM

Reply to
MM

Haven't looked at the Viking one mentioned, but my local university has a machine of this concept for binding draft versions of theses - so good for about 1,000 sheets. This used manufacturered covers with a black spine and clear 'boards' - the cover chosen depends on the width of the spine and the thickness of the contents.

Most uni print rooms will have such a machine or know of a bookbinder with one.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Quite good, I've used it on a number of paperback books to good effect.

Reply to
Peter Parry

IIRC you can get thermal binding systems that do just what you describe... a sort of DIY version of "perfect bound".

In fact, have a look at:

upto 24mm thick though...

Reply to
John Rumm

Thermal binding is good for appearance, but plain old staples are quite a bit more durable.

You can use single page sheets, or sew the paper first, or fold each sheet singly then glue.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

You can get a Fellowes one that goes up to 2 iches, I believe. But these machines are not cheap! I am looking for ways to do it "on the cheap"! (I'm only talking about one or two copies for personal/family use.)

MM

Reply to
MM

Ah, excellent! Any tips, Peter, that you could pass on? I suppose I should try it first on some scrap paper.

MM

Reply to
MM

Are really long staples available? If so, from where? The book will be about 1.5 inches thick.

MM

Reply to
MM