Anyone have some use for some large bits of weeping willow?

This dear old tree (Salix somethingorother) came down a few days back. Have two lengths of the bole, each about 100 x 5000cm. It was a big tree. Might make an interesting living structure to an artistically minded person. Otherwise I will chop them up, season and use to warm my little cottage. Any replies via ng please. Nick.

Reply to
Nick

There is a small but steady demand for well seasoned, air-dried strips of willow for use in stringed musical instrument making. Search for violin linings or guitar kerfing and you'll see what I mean. IIRC the weeping willow is even easier to bend than the cricket-bat variety whose name escapes me. I've got more than a lifetime's supply in my own store so I'm not really in the market but it looks to me as if the possible mark-up is colossal!

Nick

Reply to
Nick Odell

That's what I call *big*

Reply to
newshound

What use is sprinkling salt n pepper over it before you burn it?

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Willow is used in the casting of (church) bells. An interesting (if you are that way inclined) description of the process is contained in:

You would need to contact either Whitechapels in London or Taylors in Loughborough to see if your pieces are of any use but I have seen them use fairly long sticks (ie around 2m or so).

Reply to
AnthonyL

It is always peculiar how the professionals (presumed experts) are tightly controlled, but we amateurs (metal casting, boiler making) are not.

Reply to
gareth