Another Tiling Question

(Cross posted from free.uk.diy.home) No replies and I want to get started ;-))

Hi folks. Just a simple question from a simple person ;-) Tiling up from the bath (dead straight edge), what's the best method of doing this ? Start with the first tile resting on the bath rim, or would it be advisable to leave a small (probably about 4mm) gap by resting a piece of hardboard on top of the bath edge and tiling from this. I intend to use UPVC quadrant as a seal when all the tiling is complete. TIA. Regards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike James

Leave a gap. I used tile spacers on their side, but hardboard would work.

Reply to
Grunff

Why? my approach to sealing a bath is to get the gap as small as poss. to start with, works for me. If you want to protect the bath with the hardboard whilst tiling as I have seen done. Then jack up the bath a bit afterwards to close the gap.

Never had much luck with that stuff, seems to get mould underneath before too long. If the gap is negligible then its easy to make a neat seal with silicone.

Reply to
BillV

: > > Hi folks. : > > Just a simple question from a simple person ;-) : > > Tiling up from the bath (dead straight edge), what's the best method of : > > doing this ? : > > Start with the first tile resting on the bath rim, or would it be : > advisable : > > to leave a small (probably about 4mm) gap by resting a piece of : hardboard : > on : > > top of the bath edge and tiling from this. : > Why? my approach to sealing a bath is to get the gap as small as poss. to : > start with, works for me. : > If you want to protect the bath with the hardboard whilst tiling as I have : > seen done. : > Then jack up the bath a bit afterwards to close the gap. : > >I intend to use UPVC quadrant as a seal when all the tiling is complete. : > Never had much luck with that stuff, seems to get mould underneath before : > too long. : > If the gap is negligible then its easy to make a neat seal with silicone. : >

: : I agree with the OP - whan I tile to kitchen worktops I always use hardboard : as described to protect and provide a pocket for the silicone which gives a : much better seal. : : With baths the situation is slightly different as potentially there may be : movement with the varying weight of the bath in use. : : I still think that a corner fillet of silicone has far less adhesion than a : well filled groove of highly elastic (not sure what the elastic modulus is : of the"UNIBOND High Performance bathroom & : shower" ) sanitary silicone. : : Adrian : ........................... Thanks for that Adrian. I must say at this stage that the bath in question is firmly secured to a concrete floor and has been filled to see if there is any movement. I couldn't detect any distortion even after a few hours. I don't know what the modulus of this particular silicone is as it doesn't say on the tube, all I can tell you is that it is "Power Shower" silicone & "Superior Mould Resistant" with a 35 year guarantee. I agree with you on the small gap theory having a better adhesion and I am still pondering about fitting a UPVC quadrant as apposed too just having a silicone one. I might telephone UNIBOND, their techie guys are pretty good when I've asked about other various products. Any more thoughts good or bad, please post back. Regards. Mike.

Reply to
Mike James