Another thing about electric cars

And an overwhelming financial success they were for BR too.... um, not. I believe that brake dust from trains is also nasty for car paintwork. Car manufacturers stopped shipping new cars that way for this reason.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Well obviously it depends on where you live but I wouldn?t have thought it would be *that* hard to find a hire company in the direction that you?re planning to go anyway and then just swap cars.

Yes, it?s a complication that we?ve not had to deal with in the past but if the demand is there, then I?m sure it will get easier. Maybe we?ll all just have an account with a local hire company to speed up the pick-up/drop-off palaver?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

We already have a high amp supply to nearly every house. Largely unused at night. Nor will the average car user need to charge the battery from empty to full every night.

Not sure of the current figures but average car mileage used to be given as about 10,000 miles a year. That is less than one full charge a week.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

civilisation advances because better, not worse, solutions are available.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

well that wasn't the case for Mr and Mrs "Trip to Bournemouth", was it

Reply to
tim...

I was talking about the problem of on street charging at that point, not range.

Realistically if the range were 600 miles that would not have happened, but on street charging would still be an issue

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With a new battery.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Hypothetically, wouldn't it be better to run 11,000V to each charger?

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

No that won't happen. They'll use fibre...

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

If its alI beyond you don't let it bother you.

I didn't suggest planning it like a plane journey merely offered it as a comparison.

So if you intended a trek across the barren north you wouldn't bother researching re-fueling points?

Its pointless comparing electric car usage to either diesel or petrol vehicles. Their usage is only in its infancy. It might not be that long before the see-saw dips the other way and fossil fuel availability may be restricted while electric will have passed it. Anyway battery technology is constantly improving and longer distances will soon be available

Reply to
fred

In 20 years since I first encountered lithium batteries energy density has not even doubled.

Your faith is touching.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

So the charging cable only has to pass say 0.5 amps which makes the cable easier to handle? OK I suppose until some scroats decide it would be witty to bypass the safety feature so a particular cable is always live. Not sure I'd want 11kV anywhere near my car, either. Gives a new meaning to the phrase "My EV is an old banger".

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think naivety and gullibility are more appropriate insults.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Have you data about how the batteries last? They ain't like the leisure battery in your mobile home. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

It seems they are very unlike leisure batteries you're familiar with:

"At that, the batteries in all electric cars sold in the U.S. are covered under warranty for at least 8 years or 100,000 miles. Kia covers the battery packs in its electric cars for 10 years/100,000 miles, while Hyundai goes a step further by bumping it up to lifetime coverage."

"Be aware, however, that some automakers only cover the battery pack against a complete loss of its ability to hold a charge, which would be extremely rare. Others, including BMW, Chevrolet, Nissan, Tesla (Model

3) and Volkswagen will replace the pack if it falls to a specified capacity percentage while under warranty, which is usually 60-70 percent."

I have read elsewhere that you should expect a degradation of 2% capacity each year.

Reply to
Fredxx

That sounds like a guarantee that your crankshaft won't crack. When my Dad worked for a motor manufacturer, they started introducing extended warranties. They asked my Dad what bits of an engine never went wrong in his experience. That list ended up as being fully covered by the policy. From memory it was crankshaft; flywheel; con rods; camshafts - all guaranteed for the life of the car assuming (in those days) dealer servicing, and no loss of oil.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

You can get a disabled parking bay put in outside your house. It's not 'your' disabled bay, it's for use by anyone with a disabled badge. In practice that means the occupant badge-holder (or their carers etc), but technically someone with a badge who is visiting next door could use it too.

It would be the same with EVs. You can apply to get a bay installed but the caveat is that anyone with an EV can use it. In practice Mr Tesla isn't going to be Smug so more when the second person on the street gets an EV.

Theo

Reply to
Theo

Of course if you've paid for dealer servicing, you've likely already paid for a new engine a few times over anyway.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News

Whist painting today I had the radio on in the background and there was a article on electric vehicles. One contributor seemed to believe that the utopian era of zero road fund tax, zero congestion charges and cheap refuelling energy would go on forever hence the purchase and running cost of a EV would always be cheaper that running petrol/diesel.

Reply to
alan_m

A the ranges for EV is when the batteries are new and haven't been abused with fast charging!

Reply to
alan_m