Another mystery tool

Any ideas what it may be?

NT

Do you have the dimensions? I've seen similar-looking tools used by weavers of basketry.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Looks a bit like a cintride ceramic tile cutter, 8mm sq 150mm long with a bit of tungsten carbide at the pointy end to score the tile glaze.

Steve

Steve Williams

The whole thing's 5" long, making the rubber handle very small. What's easy to miss in the pics is that there is an inlaid piece of metal at the tip - I'm guessing TC tipped. If it is TC I assume that would rule out basketry, unless some very tough new species are being used now :)

I guess TC means masonry, glass or ceramics. I wondered about glass cutting, but it lacks the usual glass cutter features. I cant think what use it would serve with ceramics

I can't imagine why anyone would use a tiny tipped handtool on masonry, unless to carve fine detail into it. But its not the sort of shape I'd expect of any type of chisel. And the tip is well worn, but no sign whatever of any hammering or wear at the other end.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'm pretty sure it's for cutting ceramic tiles - simple 'score-snap' approach - fine for thin tiles and straight cuts.

I have a similar tool in the shed - basically a piece of square-section bar with the end shaped so it tapers to a 'wedge'. Set into the sharp end of the wedge is a piece of TC.

Yours is shaped so that the 'scoring' tip can sit cose to a ruler or other guide for accurate scoring...

Adrian

Reply to
adrian

Or could it be a cutting tool for a lathe (or other machine tool) that's been adapted for manual use?

Reply to
Appelation Controlee

I've got/had one exactly the same, very crudely made really. Mine had a soft plastic bit moulded on the other end. 'Cintride' rings a bell.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That was quickly solved!

Can it be used for anything else, given that I dont want a tile scorer?

NT

Reply to
NT

Tile cutter. The hardened bit is used to scribe the tile, which is then split across two matchsticks.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

If it's not a tile scriber it might be an artist's scribing tool for preparing metal etching / printing plates.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

upon what the insert is, it could be a grinding wheel dressing tool.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Looks like a tile scribe to me - got one in the garage somewhere....

Reply to
GMM

Graver or burin

This one's a tile scribe though - Cintride the maker? If you look closely, you can just see the carbide insert.

Reply to
Andy Dingley