aluminium pans

Friend has blackened a bare aluminium pan by using oxiclean on it. Now my chemistry days are long past me. IIRC aluminium can be changed in colour by various things, but for the life of me, I can't remember what turns it back to that dull grey that looks like ally.

Can anyone help please.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Angle grinder?

Or, new for 2010: Pressure washer. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

I would try some steel wool on it and if it restores it then get a polishing kit for aluminium. If its a chemical change you might have problems though.

Reply to
SS

Wire wool and elbow grease.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Careful using steel wool on a softer metal such as Al? Same warning about using raw steel wool to scrub stainless steel. Small bits of steel get embedded in the surface and then rust! Maybe try a stainless steel scrubber (ss. steel wool).

Reply to
terry

Cook some rhubarb or other acidic fruit in it, but don't eat it.

Reply to
Terry Fields

"Cook some rhubarb or other acidic fruit in it, but don't eat it." Did that years ago with motorcycle engine cases and they came up lovely and shiney even the insides that had discoloured with years of being covered in hot oil.

Trevor Smith

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Get a Brillo pad. Dampen Brillo pad. Rub at pan until clean and shiny.

Yes, it's that difficult.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Another bloody keyboard to clean up, I didn't expect that :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That was in the back of my mind, but I couldn't remember what caused to to go black what to boil in it to take away the black.

Thanks

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I see you missed the earlier post that warned about using that method in case some of it got embedded in the aluminium.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

If the cooking of something acidic doesn't work then I will recommend he uses Scotch brite made by the 3 M's company.

Thanks all.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Just tell them it is now Anolon.

Reply to
Rod

I see you believe that old cobblers.

Brillo pads were designed for polishign aluminium pans. They've worked at it ideally for generations. Of course people younger than 30 don't have a clue so they make up silly scare stories.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Not eating rhubarb at all is the best thing to do with the stuff....

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Don't expect any sympathy from me. My all-singing, all-dancing Logitech keyboard still hasn't recovered from a serious dousing with cholesterol-reducing yoghurt.

(Tesco's own brand. Nothing but the best.)

Reply to
Bruce

It's OK. A small application of Steve Firth Brand* extra virgin olive oil will soon cure it.

*Available in all UK branches of Aldi and Lidl.
Reply to
Bruce

That's what I say to SWMBO but she still keeps growing the stuff. The black in the pan is I suppose Aluminium oxide so any acid should dissolve it e.g. lemons.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Isn't aluminium oxide white?

Reply to