adhesives FAQ

AS this will probably be written by several people, I have Epoxy being written in future.

I suggest that we use the following outline.

Generic type ============

Trade names ===========

What they are good for ======================

The Warnings ============

How to use them ===============

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful? Maybe something similar is already out there.

Reply to
LSR

|Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> AS this will probably be written by several people, I have Epoxy being |> written in future. |>

|> I suggest that we use the following outline. |>

|> Generic type |> ============ |>

|> Trade names |> =========== |>

|> What they are good for |> ====================== |>

|> The Warnings |> ============ |>

|> How to use them |> =============== | |I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of |materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column |headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two |materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful? |Maybe something similar is already out there.

Might be, try posting it here The uk.d-i-y FAQs are in html anyway.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

sounds great

NT

Reply to
meow2222

OK here's the chart. It will only align in a non-proportional font.The book is dated 1998 so it's possible there may be some new, more appropriate adhesives on the marrket now.

Wood Metal Rubber Flexible Rigid Fabric Paper China Masonry plastic plastic leather cardboard glass ceramics

Masonry # epoxy PU PU PU contact PVA epoxy epoxy

China/ epoxy epoxy PU vinyl epoxy contact acrylic epoxy glass/ Ceramic

Paper/ PVA acrylic acrylic vinyl acrylic contact PVA Cardboard

Fabric/ PVA contact contact vinyl contact contact Leather

Rigid epoxy epoxy PU vinyl cyano- Plastics* acrylate

Flexible vinyl vinyl PU vinyl plastics*

Rubber PU PU PU

Metal epoxy epoxy

Wood PVA or PU

PU = polyurethane # = block co-polymer building adhesive such as GripFill, No More Nails etc

  • polyolefins such as polyethylene, polypropylene must be flamed first

Source: "Selly's Quick Adhesive Guide".

-- LSR

Reply to
LSR

... or try this as the formatting is rubbish

LSR

I was going to suggest exactly that as a summary.

The FAQ is in HTML so a table shouldn't be a problem.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

RS have a very comprehensive datasheet on adhesives, although its quite a few years old it helps with some of the more strange substrate combinations.

Go to

then infozone and there is a link "Guide to adhesives " in the centre right of the page

There are about 10 pages on joint design and the different families of glue and then a 30 page selection chart. Really needs printing at A3 though as the text is tiny.

Reply to
Matt

|On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 22:41:26 +0100, Owain | wrote: | |>LSR wrote: |>> I have a book called "Chemistry in the Marketplace" which has a chart of |>> materials (metal, wood, stone, various plastics etc etc) as row and column |>> headings, and at each intersection it gives the best adhesive(s) for the two |>> materials. Not sure I can easily ASCII it though. Would this be helpful? |>> Maybe something similar is already out there. |>

|>I was going to suggest exactly that as a summary. |>

|>The FAQ is in HTML so a table shouldn't be a problem. |>

|>Owain | | |RS have a very comprehensive datasheet on adhesives, although its |quite a few years old it helps with some of the more strange substrate |combinations. | |Go to

then infozone and there is a link "Guide to |adhesives " in the centre right of the page

Looks good :-)

|There are about 10 pages on joint design and the different families of |glue and then a 30 page selection chart. Really needs printing at A3 |though as the text is tiny.

Especially as some pages are upside down, not to mention sideways on :-(

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop