Acer Aspire 5536

Can you recommend a repairer, John? It would seem a shame to just junk an otherwise mint laptop. Even although I'm going to buy a new one from an impeccable source. ;-)
I did ask the one who advertises on Ebay about whether they'd fix it if sent with no HD. But haven't had a reply.
--
*Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

If you are just going for a reflow, then I would be inclined to give it a go yourself. If you have a hot air paint stripper then you can use the technique I posted earlier. You have not got much to lose, since it does not work now, the worst that can happen is it stays that way.
I have not paid to have a commercial reball, so can't really recommend one personally.
--
Cheers,

John.

I do even have a hot air re-work station. But avoid small stuff like the plague. ;-)

The Ebay place
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/321889549104
seem to to the job properly. Remove the chip, clean and re-solder. Considering they also strip the machine down, sounds too good to be true.
--
*Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.

Well they certainly make all the right noises regarding their process... so might be worth a go.
I would guess on some laptops they could do the whole job in 20 to 30 mins, and so could turnover several per hour perhaps. Having said that, there are others[1] which are a right PITA to work on!
[1] e.g. Dell are often ok to work on, but the other day I had an inspiron to fix that had suffered a fairly serious hard drive problem. It was the most complicated hard drive removal I think I have ever done. On some machines, you undo one screw, pop a cover off and there is the HDD. On this you one take all the screws out of the bottom (remembering those hidden under rubber feet). Then take the keyboard off, take all the screws out from under that. The undo all the flexi connectors that encircle the KB tray. Now you can remove the base plastic and see the motherboard. Then take the display connector off, and unscrew the screen and remove that, then unscrew the motherboard, disconnect it from its daughter boards and another bunch of flexi connectors, and finally, screwed to the underside of the board was the HDD!
--
Cheers,

John.

His feedback is interesting if you just count the positive and negatives relating to that type of job.
I can't remember which machine it was, probably an old IBM, but I decided that a certain voltage regulator chip was the problem. I purchased a couple of spare chips and decided it needed more skill than I had. We have a local place that did that sort of repair on mobile phones, so I paid them a visit, watched and was impressed by what they did. I showed them the laptop and the chip, but they talked me out of letting them do the job. I think their main argument was the chance of damage to other components and connections as the board was multi-layer and more delicate, they said, than the phone internals of the day.
It may, of course, have just been that they didn't want any hassle.
I'd be very interested in results if you did go ahead, but personally, I'd still go for a new or good used business machine.
--
Bill

Right. I've obviously bought something from them - but not a laptop. Must have been a trouble free purchase or I'd have remembered. But thanks for that.
--
*Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time.*

On 22/10/2015 18:26, Adrian Brentnall wrote:

+1000
Had a couple of dealings with them - once in the Laptops Direct Guise, and another as Aircon Direct. I now keep a very wide distance! Never again.
--
Cheers,

John.

I've not seen any real evidence on that reliability question.

Nope, some of them do. The problem is identifying which ones do.
Even just checking the net like you did with the Acer isn't really all that useful because you can never work out what volume they were sold in originally, so can't factor that into what you see now on the net with those whining about it dying.