AC - DC adapter

Anyone any thoughts on where I could get a replacement for one of these:

I've Googled but not found anything.

Christmas lights: 240v - 4v 1VA with a spade and pin plug.

The logo on the label implies it is AC output. 1VA is very low power.

Try it with 4.5v DC (3x AA cells) and a diode in series and see what lights up. Then take a look in Maplin if you don't mind paying throught the nose or eBay if you are not in a hurry. The PSUs that come with a range of connector fittings are you best bet.

4.5DC might be OK if the LED chain isn't relying on AC power to work properly. You might get away subverting an old mobile phone charger...
Reply to
Martin Brown

1VA is a very low rating. I'd be inclined to try a generic USB charger and hope it didn't make the lights go bang from moderate over-voltage or because it's DC instead of AC.
Reply to
Rob Morley

I saw the ~ and ignored it. Amateur hour!

Do the light flash or do anything clever? the AC input might be used for timing purposes?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

5v supply + 2 diodes

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I like the way it says its a "safety isolating transformer" and then tells you pin 1 is connected to the coil end. This implies an autotransformer with a single coil and that is *not* an isolating transformer. When are you taking it apart to see what's actually inside?

Reply to
dennis

If its ac then why the polarised connections though? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

If you are worried, then get an lm317 three terminal regulator and a suitable pot and get it just right on a charger with more volts out, like one of those beefier usb ones. It might get a bit warm. Seems odd to me if its AC though, as leds are most definitely DC. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Dangerous unless you know the diodes can take the current though. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Each lamp (three sticks of 12) cycles through different colours.

It about the cheapest nastiest connector ever made.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Not worth the effort for such low power. Dropping 0.6v across a cheap silicon diode or two in series will bring a 5v supply down to 4v.

Reply to
Martin Brown

At 1W total power mostly in the LEDs any rectifier diode like 1N4001 (about 2p each) would be well within its rating 1W @ 4v = 250mA.

Reply to
Martin Brown

They used to be used for speaker connections IIRC, and few have such speakers now so they probbaly got a good deal on them from a suplier or scrap merchant :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Last month I brought 2,500 of those well the 1N4004A .

Reply to
whisky-dave

OK well try the 3 x 1.5v battery route and it might work or if not, it is not too hard to knock up a squarewave oscillator at 50hz running from a DC supply which should bring back the twinkle to your lights. Also worth opening up the old transformer and see if just the thermal fuse has failed?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

complete nonsense

Reply to
tabbypurr

Look up 2 pin DIN, if that's what is shown in the picture.

Reply to
Max Demian

we've a number of Christmas light which use that connector,

Reply to
charles