Absolutely Totally OT - French Pronunciation

Hi all
Sorry this couldn't be further from on topic. I am looking for a definitive pronunciation for the French word bidet. This came up when I was repeating a car salesman's description to an American. The salesman used the adjectives skinned, winded and bidet to describe a car. Think this is just a way for this specific garage to indicate leather trim, air conditioning and rear wash wipe :)
Anyhow, my American colleague didn't get the word bidet, as I had pronounced it bee-day. Looks like the Americans pronounce this bid-day with the emphasis on the second syllable.
Most people wouldn't give this a thought, but it's in the genes for me as my father taught French and German, but is no longer around to ask.
Anyone know of a source for the definitive French pronunciation of their language? Maybe it changes depending on region. I tried looking in French ngs but they are spammed out of usefulness.
Thanks
Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Bee-day
http://howjsay.com/pronunciation-of-bidet
Look like Americans pronounce it incorrectly. No surprise there, then. Look (or rather, listen) to the mess Americans make of "route" and New Englanders make of "buoy".
--
Today is Sweetmorn, the 47th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
On 23/09/2017 10:50, Brian Gaff wrote:

That's what I thought. The OP was more concerned about the pronunciation of bidet rather questioning why a car needed a low oval basin used for washing one's genital and anal area. Or perhaps the car dealer was suggesting that the vehicle being sold was shit.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

Can't you clowns read? The car was described as having rear wash wipe.
--
The truth of the matter is that we Scots have always been more divided amongst
ourselves than pitted against the English. Scottish history before the Union of
On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:50:13 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

er, "bijoux" perhaps ?
You need to bear in mind the average USian has no better language skills than the average Brit.
Well that completely screwed up my speach synth. I had to step through it one char at a time as it sounded like one of my pss typod massages. Brian
--
----- -
On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 08:43:43 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Apologies.
It's an indication of much of this "AI" is a load of old bollocks. Computers are *still* spectacularly shit at understanding language. As a cursory play around with Google demonstrates.
Until they have that sorted, I would keep my wallet in my pocket when it comes to all the other claims.
They do in my view anyway, do lieutenant better, where did that f come from? Brian
--
----- -

Same place Cholmondeley came from.
I've always maintained that you lot have all sorts of weird pronunciations so that its completely trivial to work out who the wogs posing as brits are, you don’t even have to smell their breath etc.

I used to be puzzled by such things, but nowadays I assume that at some time in the past, some important or respected person cocked up the pronunciation, and all the peasants just copied because they thought it was the right thing to do. A bit (but not much) like the Emperor's new clothes.
Brian Gaff wrote:

Isn't a lisping King allegedly why Spanish is pronounced as it is?

--
Today is Pungenday, the 49th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

I hadn't heard of that specifically, but I've sometimes thought that all language-specific weirdnesses must have been caused by such things. People copying those other people that they think they ought to be copying, even when those other people have a speech impediment. Perhaps they had courtiers who weren't brave enough to draw attention to it, so they just went along with the whole thing, and from there it just spread outward to the masses who couldn't even read. It's a nice thought :-)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phonological_history_of_Spanish_coronal_fricatives#Castilian_.27lisp.27
--
Today is Pungenday, the 49th day of Bureaucracy in the YOLD 3183
I don't have an attitude problem.
Huge wrote:

Excellent, thanks. It says the lisp hypothesis is discredited for lack of evidence, but I'm going to choose to believe it anyway. It makes perfect sense to me :-)

Yeah, me too!
--
On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 11:28:19 +0000, Huge wrote:

Phonological_history_of_Spanish_coronal_fricatives#Castilian_.27lisp.27

And, on a related theme, I'll take this chance to repeat my mini-rant about the April Fool's prank perpetrated by a cowardly bastard[1] in the Beeb's RP department involving the cumbersome pronunciation of the (appositely chosen) word, "controversy" that was issued several decades ago now which moved the stress from the second to the third syllable, simulating the effect of editing sound recordings of the words, 'controversy' and 'controversial' so as to make up a bastard version by splicing the 'y' ending of the former in place of the 'ial' ending of the latter to convert it into a parody of the former.
In this case, it wasn't so much a case of "Don't draw attention to the leader's speech impediment!" so much as an abuse of power merely to perpetrate a joke upon their employer, perhaps as a 'parting gift' on being made redundant or given the sack... who knows? Whatever the reason, whoever was responsible may well be long dead by now and anyone in on the joke or belatedly aware of this egregious prank may simply not have the cojones to admit that they (the corporation) had been well and truly 'Had'.
[1] Possibly the 'cowardly bastard' may have just been a rhythmically challenged ignoramus who should never have been allowed to lay down rules of pronunciation or play any sort of percussive instrument in a musical ensemble.
--
Johnny B Good

Doesn't explain the utterly bizarre local pronunciations that come close to needing an interpreter for visitors.