A nuisance caller got through TruCall

This is the first to get through the net, since I installed our BT

8500's with the TruCall system 8-o .

The system logged a series of calls from 01134196912. Which at first glance suggested it might have been a genuine and local number, so I tried ringing it back and it rang unanswered, though it did sound a bit odd the ringing tone. The caller had failed to announce their name and press # to get through in each of their calls.

Then I tried to trace where the call had originated 0113 is a Leeds code, also our area code, except all of our codes (so far as I am aware) have a 2 following the code - 0113 2??????. 01134 didn't seem to exist, or so it seemed from Google.

The same caller tried again, this time said his name and pressed #. I accepted the call and from the accent it was probably a call from either Australia or maybe South Africa. The caller wanted me to take a survey - I will not repeat here what I said to him.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Mr Pounder Esquire

All old Leeds numbers were prefixed with 2 when the STD code changed from 0532 to 0113

0113 x?????? numbers exist for all values of x except 5,6,7, or 9
Reply to
Andy Burns

Horizon Mobility apparently

Often just entering the number in Google will produce information about the caller.

In this case your number was presumably passed on by anyone who's sold you similar products, or whose products you've enquired about in the past.

Reply to
Moron Watch

Google failed to find that, for some reason. The comments made there, are similar to what took place. They knew my name.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Moron Watch brought next idea :

Strange they should have my name, because I have no such issues. My now deceased partner was though quite severally disabled. As the equipment supplied to her still had some while to run on the included maintenance contracts, I transfered that to my name.

So either Stannah or the mobility scooter company, have sold my details on to a third party and without my permission. Hmmm..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I disconnected my landline and only use my mobile. Much less nuisance calls, and I can see the number. I only answer those in my contacts list, or mobile phones (as these tend to be actual people), any other landline phoning me I look up first, then dial back.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yip, your details have been sold on. A few weeks ago I bought a telly from Currys. Reserved it online. Picked it up and the bloke asked for my email address - which they already had. I told him to f*ck off. Last week I got a letter offering an incredible offer from some loan outfit ............ APR 99%. One of their clients is Currys.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Currys also report you to TV Licensing. My colleague had gotten his name reversed (forename/surname) in Currys, and the TV Licensing people thought he wasn't registered.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Not just Currys

Under the Wireless and Telegraphy Act of 1967 all TV dealers were required to notify TV Licencing whenever they sold or rented TV's. This was repealed in 2013.

IIRR this also applied to set top boxes and VCR's although not all assistants were equally on the ball when it came to asking for names and addresses

Reply to
Moron Watch

Had an assistant in Tesco demand a name and address to let me buy a DVD player once ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Translation: I can't afford a landline anymore as I'm skint and on the bones of my arse.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Are yes, a telly licence.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Hardly a 'mobile only' facility.

I'll have gone out! :-)

Reply to
Chris Green

Why the f*ck would you ring an unknown cold caller back? Seems to negate the whole point in buying a TruCall unit in the first place. Now you've also confirmed that your number has a potentially gullible person on the end of it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

I have a landline, it comes with the fibre internet. I just took the phone out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Which makes Curry's a bunch of nasty grassers.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You were not obliged to give them your address. I never did, I didn't want junk mail from them.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I hope you dumped the thing on the floor and walked out.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Tends to be. Every single mobile has it, and very few landphones do.

If whatever you were phoning me about was urgent, you can leave a message on voicemail, or send a text.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword