Subject Author Posted Replies

External wall - breeze blocks
Our neighbour has an "extension" which we can see the side of, which appears to have an external single wall of breeze blocks. You can tell it's breeze blocks, as the rendering on the outside has a...
9
9

Exterior masonry filler.
What's the best masonry filler these days? For the sort of moulded stonework you get on Victorian buildings? To be painted over. Did like the old exterior Pollyfilla which was really just a fine...
31
31

Plumbing question (stopcock and plastic water main)
The stopcock is seized in the "new" house and has resisted all attempts to free it, so replacement with a quarter turn ball valve is high on the job list. The water main is black plastic (O/D is 1" so...
3
3

OT Polish bloke in Doncaster asks how to be more English
Well he could sign on the dole, claim housing benefit and then sit on the setee watching the Jeremy Kyle show (or whatever shit they broadcast these days) whilst complaining about foreigners taking...

Slim (very slim?) rocker switches
I need some rocker switches that I can mount in thin[nish] panels sucj that they don't stick out of the back of the panel. So I need switches with a maximum depth of 1/2" or so. Much of the problem...
9
9

OT Washing Machines
Private Eye once called her a "pillock". They were quite correct. TV presenter Kirstie Allsopp has provoked a debate on social media for saying washing machines should not be kept in the kitchen
41
41

Mechanical timers for electric power?
I'm looking for the sort of thing I have on a worktop oven, knob which you rotate to turn the power on and it winds down on clockwork, giving you a maximum of 1 hour power. Ideally capable of...
24
24

Carrier which will accept items containing sealed batteries
Following on from the packing for shipping, one of the items has batteries sealed in. Looking at DPD they apparently don't carry anything containing batteries. Any recommendations for UK carriers...
13
13

TPI
when a tyre pressure light comes on how do you know which one is faulty if the tyre pressures are fine? .....
21
21

OT: Photobucket
Been using this free for some years. A bit of a PITA to use, but free. Mainly as a host for pics I want to show elsewhere. Like on say my car club forum. You just provide the link on there and the pic...
25
25

The end of an era approaches
I have just discovered that Ruth Pearson of Pan's People died a couple of weeks ago. Of the founding members, only Dee Dee Wilde now survives.
24
24

More Ikea crap - 25 year kitchen warrenty not worth the paper it's written on
"Ikea slams the door on its 25-year kitchen guarantee" Ikea refuses to honour 25 year warranty, relying on third party firm which forges customer's signature on its "inspection report" A warranty...
5
5

Grenfell Tower - a visit
I was in London over the weekend, so went and had a look at this. It's cordoned off as a crime scene, so the ghouls, media and souvenir collectors can't get too close. But in a very understated...
49
49

Small welders - what's the way to go nowadays?
I currently have an ancient (Clark, I think) air cooled 'stick' welder that is essentially just a big transformer with a crude adjuster and I also have a small SIP MIG welder. I can do most of what I...
17
17

Grease filters for Elica ELBHT80 cooker hood?
My Google-fu has abandoned me, since I can't find them either on the Elica web site or anywhere else. I want 2 aluminium grease filters for an Elica ELBHT80 cooker hood (so I can have one set in the...
20
20