Subject Author Posted Replies

Diluting glyphosate
I managed to obtain concentrated glyphosate on the Internet. The instructions contained vast amounts of detail - pages of it - but I was unable to find any clear statement on whether or how much it...
49
49

Flow rate for a shower with a pump
Hi all, can you answer this I hope simple question - I have a pre-installed shower with a pump and shower shower when running loses presure after about 45 seconds and becomes a trickle. The pipe work...
4
4

How not to take down a load-bearing wall
May be of interest:

Painting a concrete floor that's been power floated (etching?)
My workshop floor has been power floated and I believe I need to etch the surface before painting. Is this just a case of wetting it, brushing on some hydrochloric acid, and then hosing it out after...
12
12

Inline Bathroom Extractor
I am looking to install an extractor fan to remove vapour from a shower and toilet niffs. Are inline fans better than ceiling mount fans and where is the best place to locate the grill with the toilet...
12
12

how to route a thin deep slot in end grain of 18mm wood
Hello all This is an enquiry about how to use a router to cut a slot in the end of a sheet of wood. Below is an ASCII-art side view of the sheet. The wood is around 18mm thick. The slot needs to be...
43
43

The rainwater diversion project
Thanks for all the input to my project to divert rainwater from the roof of the workshop into the "small" pond (it's ~11m in diameter. I have a "big" pond about 4 or 5 times the size, too) to try and...
10
10

MIG Welders
Time was when gasless MIGs were regarded as inferior, producing spattery welds lacking asthetic appeal and attracting derision from the pros. However, looking at what's available today it seems they...
9
9

Dispute over new loft conversion
I live in a semi-detached bungalow. My neighbour has complained that the dormer window of my new loft conversion overhangs the boundary between our properties because it hasn't been built in exact...
47
47

Fewer flies around this year?
There seems to be much less flies around this year, or at least so far. I would expect there to be fewer or none at all indoors, because we now have a very effective fly screen, but even outdoors too...
19
19

RF thermostat
I have an ET4 RF thermostat. The transmitter stops working due to the battery corrosion. Now I contacted original supplier, TFC Group LLP for the replacement, but was advised that this product was...
5
5

Drilling mortice locks
I'm refurbishing an old door, which is fairly good condition, but has a poorly-repaired hole (~6mm-ish) drilled in itjust above the keyhole (well north by noth east of it). Apparently this was caused...
6
6

Brass security screws?
I am about to fix a small brass plate to the front door. The door is black, with brass door furniture, so it should look OK (after I've cleaned the rest of the brass!) I'd like to use some brass...
64
64

Outdoor mains socket
I was musing what the best way might be to terminate my armoured cable so I can have mains at the bottom of my garden. It used to go into a shed which is no longer there due to age gravity and the...
28
28

Wall fixing [plugs]? for electrical sockets
In Toolstation the other day, I was looking through their nice coloured picture book and came across fixings with an electrical approval, I assume BS7671. These were conical and looked metallic....
4
4