Subject Author Posted Replies

Floating floor
SWMBO wants a new floor. We currently have mostly very old floorboards in poor cosmetic condition, and a new floor will help to sell the house. Apparently. We'd need about 50m^2 altogether, about...
25
25

Chemicalising an unvented system
Need to put some inhibitor into an unvented CH system tomrrow. Question is: how? The only effective answer I've come up with so far is to use a washin g liquid bottle to squirt it into the top of a...
8
8

OT. Mystery spots appearing on a polyester dressing gown!
A friend of mine has a fleecy polyester dressing gown that she's had for years and suddenly, spots have started to appear on it as shown on these photos: They've not all appeared at once but over a...
6
6

Raiding ATMS
why aren't ATMs routinely fitted with devices to explode an indelible dye if they are attacked? Is it cost or Human Rights?
8
8

Strange Ceiling rose/light fitting
Hi All, I'm involved with a local charity, and we need to move a couple of fluorescent fittings at their premises that appear to have been wired from ceiling roses, and to extend the cables as fitted....
22
22

Paraffin Blow Torch
Have just bought an old secondhand Primus 632 paraffin blow torch. A lot of the flame comes out of the side rather than the front. Any idea what is going on here, and what i might do to fix it? I live...
8
8

OT: Auction with old radios and valves
*&ItemsPerPage=* or: Auction on 7th. You can register and bid remotely, but you have to arrange shipping yourself. http://tinyurl.com/ycmbo57u...
9
9

Semi OT: Up-cycling crap
Plan 1 Having watched three different day time TV programs recently there is obviously a lot of money to be made by anyone with DIY skills. The programs fall into three groups: Find junk, apply boot...
32
32

Gas calorific values
I am in debate with Bulb energy over the calorific values they charge, it only amounts to a few pence (7p) but as it stands I cannot argue my case. Is there a website that gives the calorific values...
29
29

OT: Using gysum plaster to improve clay soil.
Hi all, I've been using google to get an answer to this problem, and this site has picked up Chris Dixons request from 2010 :- So, the question is, did it work ?. I am trying to get some lawn dug over...
6
6

Chemicals in dry grout?
Once tile grout has dried, does it contain any harmful chemicals? I have a parrot that's chewing it.
8
8

Repairing mouse-nibbled cables (twin without earth)
While lifting some boards to install pipework we found a few cables that had been nibbled, in one case they had exposed the neutral conductor and several others where they'd gone through the outer PVC...
29
29

OT: Double standards?
The view of the US administration seems to be 'it's not guns which kill, but the individual' Meaning presumably the need to defend yourself outweighs any risk. But doesn't apply this to nuclear...
45
45

How cheap ?! (Any fixes)
Noticing it was half the price of the one available via the Radio Times (what a life we lead !) I risked getting one of these for SWMBO It arrived yesterday (can't fault the service). It was easy...
19
19

Kwollity
http://lenta.lol/20-of-the-most-lol-building-fails-you-will-ever-see/ :) NT