Subject Author Posted Replies

Fence orientation
My next door neighbour has today had a section of wooden fencing replaced. They guy who's done it has put the posts on my side so she has the "clean" face. He's now turning it round so the boards are...
24
24

"Yorkshire" end solder fittings
It's been a while since I have used these, so I just wanted a sanity check ... You clean up the pipe end with wore wool. Dip into flux, and insert into the connection, and gently heat with blowtorch...
37
37

improving concrete floor surface
Original (20 yeasr ago) garage floor was not power floated so has a rough d usty surface. Is there an easy answer to this problem ? Would self levellin g compound be effective ? It woiuld have to be...
6
6

Soldering fuel tank patch
I have a "classic" japanese motorbike which has been recovered from a damp barn after 10 years. Main obvious problem was the fuel tap had been left on and the carb float needles gummed shut. Having...
18
18

3 port valve and UFH - balancing necessary?
has a 3 port valve. As far as I understand, if the UFH is up to temperature, the 3 port valve will find a position such that 100% of the water flows around teh UFH circuit and none will be taken or...
5
5

Karcher K4 pressure washer
I have just bought my husband a Karcher K4 complete control pressure washer to replace his 20 year old defunct one which gave up the ghost. . It was supposed to be for Christmas but it arrived and he...
11
11

The uk.d-i-y quick quiz
Are you sure you didn't write that after you'd been to the pub?
15
15

Asbestos disposal cost-surcharge from skip Co
Hello all. My father in law is having his roof replaced (slates, membrane and perhaps battens). The old roof materials were put in a skip and when the skip man c ame to collect, he said that he...
9
9

Tailor's tape measure with a loop?
I remember back in the day that waist measurements used to be done with a tape measure with a brass loop at one end. The measurer put the tape around your waist and then fed it through the loop and...
4
4

OT Let's see how many young ones turn up today.
In this case I am referring to the Beavers, Cubs, Scouts and Explorer Scouts and maybe some of their parents from my local area. Last years attendance was appalling. I accept that turning up is...
9
9

Boiler help
I have a license copper lines boiler. It fries up immediately a d then the flame goes out and right back on over and over.. I ha e changed the ignition assembly figuring it was a sensor but didn't...
5
5

OT More on electric cars
An interesting three-part discussion on the merits of electric vehicles: In Defense of the Electric Car – part2 – Watts Up With That? In Defense of the Electric Car – part 3 – Watts Up With...
22
22

Repairing crack in flat bitumen roof
Is there anything better than black exterior mastic (frame sealer) to repair a foot long crack in a bitumen felt roof? The crack is near the edge where there is a lip to control direction of water...
10
10

baxi brazillia 8000s original model, need control knob
the knob on my 8000s has snapped, the part is obsulete, will the 8000s sl;imline knob fit

Help needed: biased/momentary light switches?
I want to replace the two biased architrave switches that control the garage doors with a standard dual switchplate, but can't find any that have the usual white rocker but are momentary action...
35
35