Subject Author Posted Replies

washers/cisterns
side entry inlet on cistern was slightly leaking. I undid the nut and could see a broken washer so after googling and studying I bought some fibre washers and screwed it all up and water rushed out of...
17
17

Transistors... It has been a while.
See here: Question is: why would you want to put a variable resistor between Z and Y, and not a fixed value one? I could do this in my sleep years ago, honest...
9
9

help with pub quiz needed
It's my team's turn to be quizmasters and it isn't considered good form to just get the questions from a book or off of a website. I need two rounds of ten questions each. I am thinking of a round on...
77
77

Potterton Netaheat 80e - I think the gas valve is stuck - what next?
We have a venerable Potterton Netaheat 80e which we only turn on occasionally when it gets particularly cold, it does have a clock controller but it runs on expensive LPG and we have a wood burner...
5
5

Chrome towel rail valves - non turning caps?
I've got a couple of valves that look a lot like these: (They fell out of the plumber's van so I do not have a make) Anyone know where I can get non turny caps for those? This rad is supposed to stay...
5
5

Halogen work lights and outdoor lights - chuck?
I have several of the budget work lights which are basically halogen outdoor floodlights on a metal stand. I also have a couple of still boxed and unused halogen outdoor lights, one with PIR. They are...
4
4

PIR Floodlights
I have a PIR floodlight fitted to a post in my garden, adjacent to my garage which is in a block of garages next to my garden. The light is powered from my shed/greenhouse which is at the end of a 50m...
15
15

Best product to seal Kardean floor to plaster wall
Having had kardean floor fitted the is a small untidy gap between the floor and the plaster wall in the pantry. What would be the best product to make a satisfactory neat seal?
3
3

For Festool Fans
I got this along with some piece of Festool equipment, can't rememer which. But what is it for ? https://thomaspaulmccann.smugmug.com/My-First-Gallery/i-FrfF3SN
4
4

Damaged laminate flooring over underfloor heating
I have a problem with a laminate floor, laid about one year ago. The sub-floor is conventional floorboards with wet underfloor heating on top and then a recommended underlay. In one place in the...
67
67

OT: Mattress
Not something you buy every day. And remember being told once that the markup on a mattress was higher than similar goods. Judging by the prices in the shops I'd say this still is true. So where is...
20
20

R. Cott. 27
Any polite suggestions how to remove plaster debris from plywood used as temporary flooring? Scraping and vacuuming seem to leave dust engrained in the surface. I am reluctant to scrub with water as...
14
14

Sockets on Different Phases ?
When I've wired runs of 240v single phase 13A sockets in various buildings on the farm I've always put them all on one phase so that there is no danger of 415v phase to phase accidents when using...
31
31

regex guru required
Given the string: Word_1Word_3Word_4 What regex magicary for PHP's preg_match_all that can extract just the text of the "Word_n" fields *including* the empty Word_2. That is I want a list or four...
15
15

Central Heating Cleaner
Do they all need to be thoroughly removed after a short period? My system had 3 sluggish radiators. I had one re-piped during some alterations. It turned out I had some sediment in the outlet union...
7
7