Subject Author Posted Replies

Metal forming problem
A few of the products I receive have a manufacturing defect which may cause problems in time. The issue is tears in the metal at a point where the metal blank shape is pressed to create to upright...
6
6

slightly OT: solve my mobile problem
The problem: I need a mobile phone when out for emergencies. I have a cheap voice only Nokia with a Truphone PAYG sim. Once people know you have a mobile they isnist on sending SMS texts and phoning...
20
20

Metal Consumer Unit but with plastic window Compliant? WYLEX NHRS44206
I have bought a Metal Consumer Unit but with a plastic window , is this against the regs as the window could melt? WYLEX NHRS44206 Could I legalise it by building a metal meter cupboard door in front...
10
10

Can one connect a shaver socket to a lighting circuit?
I'm going to install a shaver socket and I'm wondering if it's OK to connect it direct to a lighting circuit. The previous one I installed has an FCU from the ring main but it would be much easier to...
6
6

DAB aerial
I've just bought a replacement radio alarm clock with DAB radio. The radio will pick up an adequate signal in one location but not where it needs to be. Is there anything I can do to improve matters?...
17
17

OT: No right arrows allowed on roundabouts?!
I received this bullshit from my neighbouring council. Apparently new design standards forbid the painting of right turn arrows on roundabouts because it would confuse people?!? Instead they now paint...
24
24

Re: OT: a word of warning...
You have a very odd idea of hacking, if the account was accessed via a stolen or lost phone on that account. It is up to the individual to protect their phone from use by others in event of it being...
3
3

Re: a word of warning...
I think it says it all when companies 'sell' on the feature that their support is 'UK based'. When I signed someone up with a 'Uk based ISP' with the thought that the 'UK based support would be a...
10
10

Lubricating screw thread so resistance not increased
Have a small aluminium bodied LED torch that takes a AAA battery. The aluminium cap on the end with the on/off button is difficult to screw off and the electrical connection it makes varies a lot when...
13
13

Insulating Inside a Conservatory Roof
I have seen a few videos on YouTube about insulating inside a conservatory roof and the process loooks very simple whether using a PIR thermal insulation board or a multi-layer foil material with...
8
8

How to, small drill bit.
I have a watch that the strap buckle pin keeps coming out. The hole for the pin is slightly too short, not deep enough to seat the retaining pin properly. I have a drill bit just under 1mm diameter...
21
21

Removing (cross type) tap handle without removing headgear doesn't get me wet, right?
Very quick question: removing the (cross type) tap handle on a kitchen hot tap, while leaving the headgear untouched, doesn't get me wet, right? I'm wondering whether I can help an elderly friend of...
4
4

Fence paint anyone
Just boarded out half the garage roof space for storage and got the apprentice to put stuff up there. "Lid fell off" It was 4 deg when I hosed him down:-) File:Paint.jpg - DIYWiki
6
6

OT: induction hob or ceramic hob?
We need to replace an ancient range cooker that has a ceramic hob. I'd prefer gas but mains gas isn't available and I don't want to mess around with bottles, so the choice is induction (and some new...
42
42

milk frother
I have an aerolatte milk frother that is just about OK to make cappuccino s tyle foam when the batteries are new. So having returned an espresso maker due to the feebleness of the steam outlet, I went...
9
9