Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Charity ~TV ads
There are many that of a system whereby you make a telephone call then they automatically snag money from you. Now some of them seem very deserving, but I would dearly love to know how much of that...
8
8

Copper is an aquatic hazard?
I got a package today with the "dead tree & fish" label on it & a 13-page safety data sheet inside. It turns out that desoldering braid is so labelled because copper is "aquatic acute 1, H400" and...
17
17

OT: North Mid Hosp, PCN?
Hi all, We recently attended North Middlesex Hospital four times and today received a PCN from the last two visits but one (so 'so far'). ;-( One states we were there for 61 minutes and the other, 32...
83
83

Are mains plugs ...
... dishwasher proof? Like many of us, I have a big box of 13A mains plugs I've accumulated over the years. Most of them are pretty grubby. If I use one and it's going somewhere that matters, I clean...
51
51

Wiki files
Might not be a bad idea to allow mp4 files there, it can't currently upload a 1M media file. Still photos don't really get the message across in this case. NT
2
2

[OT but only a bit] Gas buggered
Households and motorists have been warned to expect sharp rises in gas bills and petrol prices after a “perfect storm” of supply problems as the winter freeze begins.
20
20

OT: Broadband problems
Hi all. So, I don't think there is anything I can DIY about the issue I'm having, but I'll ask anyway ;) As of last Thursday my internet access has gone from a really solid 37Mbps down to unusable at...
21
21

Heating system motorised valve questions
Central heating playing up so I've been checking the valves. Two questions.: 1. The central heating circuit is controlled by a 2-port Danfoss valve. I replaced the motor head a couple of years ago....
9
9

Replacement for NetaHeat80 LPG - recommendations?
Our venerable NetHeat 80E just went bang (literally!). I've been thinking it needs replacing anyway so this just confirms that decision. What do the team recommend as a replacement? Reliability when...

OT Something to spend your money on
https://www.gofundme.com/Walk-or-Step-Down
2
2

OT: Hammond's crash
I don't get this at all, he'd already crossed the finish line, but then kept on driving at full racing speed to the next corner?!
4
4

Flexible hose connector but in 28mm?
Hi All Anyone know if you can get flexible hoses like this: but in 28mm style (compression fittings and corresponding hose diameter)? I have a job to replace our cold water tank in the loft and there...
16
16

Age related
I have just hit a certain age. Will I start to: Press the buttons really hard on my TV remote control if it doesn't do what I expect it to do? Yank the door handles of the car 3 times after locking it...
122
122

Re: Lord Lawson - DO NOT READ IF "OT" APPEARS IN TTHE SUBJECT LINE.
To be honest I think since unification they just want to have as many people as possible to help with the huge cash probblem related to joining together both bits of Germany again. I see no evidence...

More adventures with unearthed appliances
I have a brass standard lamp, which I've rewired. It has a disconcerting mains buzz to it, which is quite noticeable when you allow the back of your hand to drift along it. Of course, when the light...
14
14