Subject Author Posted Replies

Somebody had clearly forgotten to tell them what a rubbish chain it was before they opened their wallet
I assume the VCs and management already received their bonuses for the deal at Christmas time... Up to 2,000 jobs are at risk after the Australian owners of Homebase said 40 stores could close.
9
9

Caepet cleaning question
There's a black patch on a carpet. A regular carpet cleaning hasn't done a thing for it, nor did scraping. I've no way to find out for sure what it is, but suspect a mouldy object may have caused it....
10
10

Heat losses in a vertical pipe
I have an un-pressurised thermal store that has a 15mm copper vertical vent pipe at the top that goes up into the loft and hooks over the Fill and Expansion tank. Although it is insulated with foam, I...
10
10

Old Lead-Acid gel (power scooter) batteries
I've got about 50Kg of these buggers. Is there a decent way to get a few quid scrap ? In Birmingham. I can throw in about 30Kg of roofing lead.
9
9

Adding RCBOs to Wyler Split Load CU
Hi All, I have a Wyler 12 way split load CU (NHrS12SL). For various reasons, I will be having a qualified sparky do the work, but w anted to check my options... Currently our CU has most of the power...
13
13

Carronite bath
Anyone got one and can describe what they mean by *textured base*? Non slip obviously but how severe is this texturing? Sandpaper or cats-eye humps?

Gas fire installed - should there be a lintel???
Hi I've just had an slimline blanced flue inset gas fire installed (Stdio 2 from ) It required a new hole around 90cm * 45cm to be fitted into (no chimney involved) - the work was surveyed by the fire...
6
6

Sealing a limestone fireplace
Hi, I'm thinking of applying this[1] or similar to a limestone fireplace that hasn't got any sealant on it yet. Anyone done this, any warnings or recommendations? Thanks 1.
2
2

OT: Free/cheap web hosting
I maintain a simple web site for the male voice choir to which I belong. We currently use free webspace which goes with a legacy (originally PAYG) Plusnet account. [Since I also have a paid Plusnet...
58
58

Vaillant boiler, heating does not stay on, override "pops out"
Hi I have a Vaillant combi about 25 years old. The pressure had dropped and th e boiler stopped working so I topped the pressure up via the filling loop. After topping up, the hot water circuit works...
4
4

OT: Fitbit oddity
I've been using a Fitbit for the last year or so and the step count has always been surprisingly accurate, and agreed with the phone in my pocket. I bought my wife one for Christmas but it recorded...
11
11

Plastic storage boxes
We bought four of these storage boxes at Asda We need to cut them up and glue various pieces together for a bit of a project, so my question is, does anyone know what plastic these are made from so...
14
14

Extractor fan - a bit of circuit help, please
Hopefully you can see this. There should be a shonky hand drawn circuit diagram and three photographs. From the diagram I can see most of what is going on (I think) but I am puzzled by the black wires...
34
34

Rodenticide Rule Changes
If you use any amount of rodenticide then be aware that the rules are changing (as part of the ongoing march to prevent the sale of any pesticide that actually works) on the 1st March and you may need...
6
6

Ikea Office chair maintenace
I want to replace the gas raiser on an Ikea office chair. Best source of raiser and which size of raiser, please?
5
5