Subject Author Posted Replies

Aluminium tube redux
Some of you may recall me asking about tubing for vacuuming out the spider webs in my vaulted ceilings. Picked up a 5M length of 40MM waste pipe from Screwfix yesterday and as I hoped, it fits on the...
2
2

Attaching Castor to Wooden Bench Leg
I want to raise a workbench up by a few inches, and thought it would be han dy to do this usIng suitable braked castors so that I can move the bench ar ound more easily. The legs of the bench are 80 x...
10
10

Toilet keeps filling
I've been asked to sort out a toilet cistern that keeps on filling and so overflowing. Photo of offending item here: Is it just a case of removing the circular blue bit and replacing a washer or...
20
20

gas legal?
Is it legal for me to use a monometer to check the gas pressure at the meter and at the boiler ?
12
12

Pump for boiler descaling
Hi all, I have a intergas boiler with a developing limescale problem on the domesti c hot water side. Taking the heat exchanger out looks to be impractical, so I thought I'd try the alternative...
10
10

MagnaClean
For interest only 20 year old CH run with sludge remover approx 10 months ago. Images show the amount of magnetic material collected by a MagnaClean since. The material is collected in a spiral...
4
4

OT fruit - oranges
For a few weeks, we have been buying regular small boxes of oranges from the local coop, described as 'grade 1 easy peelers' - Spanish mandarin. Having a sweet tooth, I found them quiet juicy and...
17
17

Is it safe to touch an LED bulb without gloves?
The rule is, don't touch *halogen* bulbs with the bare fingers. Does this also apply to LED MR16s or GU10s? MM
11
11

LG washing machine service manuals
Hello! Can anybody suggest, where one can find LG service manuals for washing machines? I tried google, but did not find service manual for my washer. Model is F1496ADP3, that isn't sold in Britain...
2
2

OT: Linux HDD on Win10 not booting
Hi peeps, I?m trying to recover s9me files off a Linux HDD but when connecting the hd to the sata connections on the pc but the pc won? ?t boot. I?m sure I have done it before but stumped why it? ?s...
6
6

Question about Electic Motors
Most motors seem to have the same proportions of length to diameter so there must be some theoretical principal there. However, I once operated a milling machine that had what was called a Pancake...
53
53

where can I get the right converter to plug a 300W 120V US fan heater into a UK socket?
I am looking for a reliable convert to plug a 300W 120V US fan heater into a UK socket. The plug looks like this Maplin have a converter that does 300W for £40 but it's a bit risky as it gives no...
61
61

Installing shower tray with upstands
Installing shower tray with upstands - this seems to be a right bastard of a job. According to the destructions, you are supposed to install cement board down to the floor, then chip away 5mm from the...
12
12

Name for a beam made of metal and wood
What is the name for a beam where its "core" is made of a "zig-zag" of metal and the top and bottom surfaces are made of (ply?) wood. Or is that just bit of fake news, a product of a deranged...
8
8

OT forged in fire censorship
On Blaze TV there is a series of programs called Forged In Fire In each program 4 blacksmiths come into the studio "smithy" and are given 3 hours to design and forge a knife blade using a variety of...
6
6