Subject Author Posted Replies

Auto air vents (plumbing)
As heading. I now have 2 vents out of 6 which dribble water when unscrewed. Any thoughts? How do they work anyway?
7
7

Roof top solar power
We've been thinking of having solar power installed on the roof. Does anyone know of a good source of accurate and unbiased information? Searching with Google most of the sites seem to be run by the...
25
25

OT(ish) ... fire occurences ?
Just vaguely wondered if the trend towards lower power lighting has led to a reduction in fires caused by overloaded wiring ?
28
28

Actual DIY Q :-D
For the first time this century I agree with Mr Plowman.
42
42

Vaillant divert valve ... weep (?)
Noticed a small brown stain below our Vaillant combi Saturday. Quick look underneath didn't reveal anything too suspicious. I nipped up all visible connectors, cleaned up, and waited. Today, there was...

Removing paint from veneered ply.
If it is real teak it might turn out easier to strip than feared - if you are lucky. Teak is loaded with oils that are incompatible with many finishes so it's common practice to put on a sanding...
20
20

Removing metal rawlplugs
What is the best method of removing metal rawlplugs with minimal damage to a plasterboard wall. They look to be a very old design with possibly collapsed wings behind the plasterboard. Regards
11
11

Worcester 18R1 final leg of pipe size?
Busy seeking quotes for the replacement boiler and one guy quoting over the phone, when I described the layout, was suggesting the pipe from meter to boiler needs be entirely 22mm. Worcester+'s own...
9
9

Yodel, delivered by postie
I have just had a parcel clearly marked up Yodel (Yodel marked and bagged) parcel, delivered by our Royal Mail postie. How come RM are delivering for Yodel?
11
11

[OT] The fish rots from the head
Strange that coming from a man who laid a wreath at grave of the planner of the massacre of Israeli athletes at the 1972 Olympics, and calls Hammas and Hezbollah his friends. I am sure it was all done...
64
64

Water meter cost?
I thought I'd look into getting a water meter to save money, but it does= n't! Current fixed cost (Scottish Water) with no meter is =A3390 a year. To install the meter costs =A3100 for a survey, then...
59
59

Rattling Boiler
Can anyone identify this noise? - It's a sort of high pitch metallic rattling, happens all the time, and has started since I drained and refilled the closed combi system.
17
17

Thermostatic radiator valves
I may be having my regular open vented boiler soon replaced (see my earlier thread). I have several thermostatic valves, which I bought some 10 years ago with the intention of fitting them, when we...
9
9

OT: Windows update 2952664 - Compatibility checks
Update 2952664 seems to have re-surfaced, having done the rounds some time ago. The info from microsoft states :- "This update performs diagnostics on the Windows systems that participate in the...
19
19

OT: What to do when you're going to die
If you knew with absolute certainty that you were going to die in 48 hours, what would you do? For example you could drive around and kill as many annoying folk as possible. Cyclists with silly little...
26
26