Subject Author Posted Replies

Building collapse in Brazil..
For brian: its video of a 26 story tower block on fire in Brazil. It fell straight down, must be the work of those that used super thermite on the towers in America! Its one hell of a blaze, makes you...
5
5

OT: BG Ups daily meter rental charge by 50%.
Bastards. Daily standing charge increasing from 26.01p to 37.45 from 29th may. I don't even use gas !!. When the standing charge was part of the first x kilowatts I paid nothing. Then those clowns in...
2
2

Super-high performance windows versus trickle vents - what do they do in Scandinavia ?
As I understand, typical UK domestic windows have trickle vents to try to a llow warm, damp air to escape a room (and cold, dry air to enter) to avoid or reduce condensation on the windows. Now what I...
18
18

Lucas control box problem?
The Morris again. Just to recap, 1968, now -ve earth but still dynamo, control box etc. Suddenly started to flatten the battery whilst parked, but charges when running. Restarting a couple of hours...
57
57

uPVC doors & security
We're looking at having some replacement windows and (4 sets of) French doors installed. The current favourite firm to do the work fits Rehau extrusion with steel reinforcements. I have concerns about...
27
27

Velfac
Any experiences of Velfac windows? My friend has had suggested aluminium external frame and wood internal frame. Good condensation performance?

Emulsion Cost
My sister's having an extension built and is likely to settle on a quote - £140k (inc VAT) fully finished, looks to be about 10m x 5m, 2 storey, 3 rooms and a bathroom. About £25k on a zinc roof...
6
6

Speeding up a stairlift (2023 Update)
Are you saying yours has a 'dead man's handle' and irrespective of that it *also* automatically stops at each end Martin? By that I mean I assumed all of them automatically stopped at each end but...
73
73

drayton digistat scr not turning boiler off (yes off...opposite of everyone else!)
Hi all...help!! So I have a wirless drayton digistat scr connected to a valiant boiler. The thermostat is working (new batteries) and is telling the receiver to turn on and off the boiler. Relay seems...
6
6

"Breeze block"
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a...
76
76

Don't scrap that diesel car just yet!!
Bosch’s new process optimizes thermal management of exhaust temperatures, slashing nitrogen oxide emissions to one-tenth of the legally permitted limit, and doesn’t require new hardware.
124
124

The Maplin website will be closed
I was told this is despite there has been two offers for the company. The last I heard is there is going to be a merger between the Staples and Maplin brands. The demise of the website seems to dispel...
32
32

Dual flush toilet won't refill
We've got an Ideal Standard Space corner toilet with a dual flush system. The flush button broke ? it turns out as a result of the flush plate not being aligned with the button housing. In other...
1
1

vent fan for new half bath construction.
new half bath on first floor above basement ,interior wall next to chimney. Toilet and small sink. Only time the fan would be used is to remove noxious smell from doing #2. Air vent would be 5 inches...
17
17

Trailer. Hub or stud centric wheels?
Hi all, I have been given an old dinghy trailer (with a dinghy on it I'm about to give away ) and before I move it from it's current location I felt I should check the running gear. It was obvious the...
15
15