Subject Author Posted Replies

Decent British or German solenoid valve manufacturer?
Does anyone know of a *decent* manufacturer of water solenoid valves, preferably a source from which there could be some come-back in the future, such that I can get an outdoor valve (240V, I don't...
12
12

Scanning newsprint - tips?
Trivial question really, but this group is the fount of all knowledge ... I do a quiz for the pub, every few weeks. I do a picture round, by cutting out photos from newspapers/mags, and sticking them...
20
20

multitool trick
Wrap a bit of sandpaper round a multitool blade and secure with a dab of superglue. A far better was to do detail sanding than any of the gadgets I've tried. Bill
5
5

made to fail?
What's the purpose of this hole in handle at the stress point, other than to break? Bill Dropbox is a free service that lets you bring your photos, docs, and videos anywhere and share them easily....
14
14

Clarke tools
My CHT132 lazy tongs riveter broke yesterday. It's not quite two years old and has only done 200 rivets. I emailed Clarke for spare parts availability. Here's part of the reply: "Good Morning, We are...
21
21

OT Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device
Some friends of mine bought a Garmin Etrex 10 GPS device for use when out walking. They're not very techy so asked me to look at it. It's very primitive, with utterly useless instructions and I can't...
7
7

Oven with temperature readout
I am trying to find a reasonably priced single oven with a digital temerature readout. None of the sites I have visited boast of one. Anybody any useful recent experience?
40
40

Talking smart meter display units
Has anyone, anywhere had one actually supplied yet? Ofgen claim they are available but EDF who I'm with say they are not. Who is telling porkies. I have put my foot down with a firm hand and told...
13
13

Sturmey Archer gurus?
Hi, I am in the process of stripping a 3sp SA brake / hub (X-RD3) and wondered if anyone here was personally familiar with this range of hub (rather than the older models) and could offer any general...
6
6

OT Geert Wilders on events last week
Geert Wilders, Dutch MP: "I am here on behalf of millions. Freedom of speech is being violated all over Europe and also in Britain. Restore freedom of speech."
4
4

Water Paint on external woodwork.
A bloke is proposing to repaint windows, porch etc. He has said water based paints are the preferred thing these days. I raised one eyebrow. Am I hopelessly out of date? Water? better than oil?...
11
11

Is tanking a job for professionals?
A friend has a garage and the adjoining garden covers the lower 1/3 of the left-hand wall. Water comes in from the soil through the wall. Whatever waterproofing was there is not working any more. The...
5
5

Blocked gutter downpipe
This morning's fun and games. We have two walls that meet at 90 degrees, one single storey, the other two storey, both have gutters with downpipes leading to a single drain gully, where they are...
11
11

E1 message on digistat +2?
I am getting E1 on thrmostat. Have changed battery. No way to escape the E1 on screen ..
2
2

Lidl drill/chisel/scissor sharpener
I've just bought one of these and I'll be darned if I can follow the supplied instructions for setting the drill bits up in the holder. If I push it in to the setting guide far enough to touch the...
5
5