Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric cable and pipe detector
I'm looking for recommendations for a cable and pipe detector in walls etc. At present I have a cheap B&D one, which never seems to give satisfactory results. No disasters with it yet, but I'm never...
9
9

Hammerhead wedges
One of the wedges on my old lump hammer has come out. Before it came out completely I had a look and it seemed to be made of wood (this is an old Chinese(?) 1kg hammer that I've had for over 20 years,...
18
18

Basic plumbing - compression joints.
Ripping out an old bathroom, and need to fit a compression stop end to a hot feed, something I have never done before, plumbing not being my 'thing'. So far, have cleaned the pipe of old paint where...
34
34

OT: Money worries
The resident retard spouts again. Doesn't understand the difference between a holiday and business.
89
89

Unattended Bonfires
You've only got yourself to blame if you locate next to a group of allotments. There are some freehold allotments adjoining our terrace ( I own one of them). One of my absentee neighbours (she lives...
16
16

Biscuit jointer vs dowling jig
I have to make up a shelf from planks (800mmx600mm). My first thought was biscuit jointer, but they're not cheap for something I will use very sparingly. I am wondering if a good dowelling jig might...
17
17

Whoops
Just emailed the MD of a company a photo of me knobbing the gf instead of a photo of the fault on the lights in his office that I just fixed.
22
22

Impressive cordless drill
nice :) NT
5
5

BBC Summerwatch DIY for £35 outdoor wifi camera.
This camera was mentioned on BBC Summerwatch this week. I can't find the details of how to make one. Anybody know where the details are provided?
15
15

Building Regs revisited
Following on from the previous thread the whole thing looks to be a confused mess. (1) Some sources say that BC cannot take enforcement action after 12 months have elapsed. (2) Other sources say that...
2
2

Hose pipe brush - bonding plastic bitts to alloy pipe
We have a brush on the end of extendible alloy pipe with plastic compression clamps which plugs into a hose pipe. Good for washing car windows and the like. The last time I used it it partially...
1
1

Have pop rivets/guns changed?
I've got an old pop-rivet gun which worked perfectly well the last time I used it, maybe 1978. Bought a selection of rivets the other day and there is no grip. So has the pin diameter changed with...
15
15

Car key problem
My car key has a chip in it and the plastic 'loop' that connects to a key ring has snapped off. I repaired it the first time with a kind of plasticene that went rock hard and it worked - until my...
19
19

Concealed basic overflow blocked.
Hi all, Ever so often we notice the bathroom basin becomes slow to drain and I normally just take the (bottle) trap and all the pipework off down to where it T's into the washing machine drain and...
10
10

Fence post- bitumen on lower end?
Hi all. I get a bit obsessive in trying to make sure that the end results of my DIY jobs are long-lasting (where appropriate). On the matter of wooden fence p osts, is it likely to increase the life...
26
26