Subject Author Posted Replies

Crossing the channel...
I have to go to sodding Germany. Will drive there...whats the cpesast and or easiets way to get across? Can one still turn up at 5 a.m. and get the 6 a.m. ferry for 25 notes without pre booking? Is...
140
140

Does Papal cobe 'Buy it now 'purchases ?
Sorry my first question contained a typo ISTR there is a difference when buying at eBay Auction and eBay 'Buy It Now ' Will Paypal guarantee cover 'buy it now' purchases ?
5
5

OT: Driving Licence
As I am approaching 70, I now need to renew my Driving Licence, and see that I have a decision to make about the additional classes that I will lose, unless I submit the medical form. Right now the...
46
46

Testing water
I've recently opened-up an old well and started using the water for irrigation, but it seems sensible to find out what's in the water before using it on the veg patch. I don't know anything about the...
20
20

Star wars?
Military professionals who concentrate on space needed their own organization to truly focus their efforts on a singular task — to protect and defend U.S. and allied interests in space.
4
4

Qualcast electric hedge trimmer - clutch?
Its a long blade, where you can press a button to rotate the blade through 90 degrees, for horizontal vertical cuts. It is around 3 years old and it has developed a (sometimes) drive problem, where...

Water Softener died
Our EMWC TwinTank WaterSoftner bought in 2009 has turned up it's toes. I'd forgotten they have a finite lifetime. New single tank unit ordered. Another DIY job to do that wasn't planned. Also now have...
3
3

Proportion of water to mortar and concrete mixes
The instructions with my concrete mixer recommend adding the water first to prevent the aggregate sticking to the sides of the drum. The trouble is I have ended up with some sloppy mixes particularly...
7
7

Freezer temperature Q.
Obviously hot weather has freezer running a bit more. After noticing that our built in kitchen freezer seemed to be almost permanently on, I decided to defrost it last night. After wiping it out at 10...
20
20

Smart meters: SMETS2 v SMETS1
I have just had (another) call from installers working on behalf of my energy supplier offering me a Smart meter, despite my earlier refusal. The proposal is to install SMETS1. She says there is no...
7
7

Anyone there?
Blankj server?
2
2

Virgin Media - disabled priority repair
Help! I have a housebound relative whose Virgin media landline has been cut by cowboy builders working next door. Fastest repair the Virgin support dalek can offer is Thursday - which is no good for...
84
84

Prepare floor for vinyl tiles
I am going to have to lay about 4 sq metres of Amtico tiles. They are much thinner than those I laid 40 years ago, so the floor has to be very even. What I have looks as though it is a layer of ply or...
7
7

Head Torch
I was just looking at this head torch, which claims to output 6000 lumens. That exceeds the output from a 5 foot fluorescent tube, which seems unlikely. I know LEDs are more efficient, but not that...
50
50

Head torches