Subject Author Posted Replies

OT:Stupid speed limits ?
It seems for some councils improving road safety by putting limits back to what they were is too expensive: Aren't we told a child's life..................... Perhaps not in some counties?
185
185

Congratulations sir, you are safe!
Neither do I. Or Windows.
30
30

[SOLVED] OT: Freecycle
It's time for a clearout at Scott Towers. I would like to try Freecycle in the hope that some items may be of use to somebody else. I am finding the terms and conditions difficult to follow and I...
19
19

Meanwhile back on topic
What is the current best screw head to use out of doors if you might want it to be taken apart in some years down the line? Brian
14
14

Jaguar Land Rover
Jaguar Land Rover warns 'bad' Brexit deal could threaten £80bn investment in UK ahead of key Cabinet talks The pound slipped into the red ahead of Cabinet's crunch Brexit meeting after a report...
16
16

Knotting together a bunch of sticks
I'm looking a knot that will 'grip' when pulled tightly. For instance something that could pull tightly on holding a bunch of garden canes or similar together. The Scouts used to teach a simple knot...
7
7

Clear crystals inside plums
I've never seen this before No doubt it's just fructose crystals, but why do they form? Explore this photo album by rambo1152 on Flickr!
1
1

Now it's Aldi (UK)'s turn to offer an inverter generator
Hi to everyone, particularly those in the UK. Aldi have started selling (as of last Thursday) a 1800/2000W Workzone branded inverter generator. It's almost three times the price of Lidl's PGI 1200B at...
5
5

Remote switching of mains device
I have mains power going to a few things around the garden and I need to be able to reliably switch them on/off from the house. Is there a gizzmo that will do what I want? Wireless might be OK but the...
18
18

OT - Moth Identification
I know its mostly OT except that I was digging up a tree root when I saw this and that nearly counts as DIY. 4 very large moths (2 pairs) each individual moth about the length and diameter of my...
3
3

BT scam call
I thought it might be worth mentioning, as I haven't had this type of call before. Phone rang. Synthesised voice said my name and then said this is BT. Your broadband will be terminated tonight. Press...
21
21

Electronic device recovering after hot environment?
We have a VHF/UHF amplifier (quite an expensive one) that the builders covered with glass fibre in a loft. The air temp in the loft was 48C so God knows what it was inside the amp, but it was dead and...
41
41

Hose reels
I recently replaced our ageing 30M hose reel with a Hozelock. It fell to pieces within minutes of fixing to the wall. Can anyone recommend one which I can fix to the wall so that the 'axle' is...
11
11

TOT: reduction of NHS treatments available
As we all know the NHS is to withdraw various treatments and procedures. In that light I wonder if the population should be warned that if deformed children arise as a result of first cousin marriages...
13
13

OT MEP expenses
Influential. Investigative. Independent. EUobserver is an online not-for-profit newspaper reporting on the European Union.
16
16