Subject Author Posted Replies

The fire alarm and the office chair
We have three mains powered, battery backed, linked fire sensors. Last week - beep, beep, beep - then silence for several minutes. Usually the sign that a battery needs replacement. None of the three...
9
9

OT - VOIP
How to Be Prepared When Landlines Get Replaced How to Be Prepared When Landlines Get Replaced
17
17

3d printer problem.
How do you make it easier to get abs off the glass build plate. I just ended up pulling flakes of glass off the surface trying to remove a print.
7
7

OT scare stories
After the ITV news full of scare stories with the black news reader frowning furiously I switched to Sky news, where there were the same scare stories but a different black news reader frowning...
131
131

Gap sealant for oak skirting
I just bought some Osmo Medium Oak gap sealer to seal the gap between some oak skirting and a parquet floor, but the colour is more like pink than Medium Oak. Can anyone suggest a sealer that is...

PAT Testing and consumer safety regulations
Hi All Can you spot the errors made by putting this sewing machine out for sale in a charity shop? - 13 amp plug with unsleeved L and N pins - figure-8 single-insulated wire outside the machine casing...
11
11

Dimmer and LED
I have just had a touch dimmer fail. I had used it to control a bar with 4 x 50 watt GU10s. I replaced with LEDs and ov course it wouldn't work as it had a 40watt minimum load requirement. I put a...
8
8

Cistern control valves
OK so I finally got around to installing some toilets. An earlier decision to use mains water is leading to noise where the isolator valve is used to control cistern water flow to less than the...
5
5

Booked next year's holiday yet, 'tards?
If negotiations fail there would be a scramble for an interim solution to keep planes in the air.
23
23

B&Q Community re-use
I am undertaking a garage/workshop clearout... everything must go - mostly to the local tip. However, I've got a whole bunch of new bits, open packets with parts taken out, stuff that could be...
12
12

OT: Gas supplier using wrong switching readings
Is there a time limit at which I can assume I no longer have a liability to my outgoing supplier? I've been with a gas supplier for 2yrs but as I think I could get a better deal elsewhere I have...
54
54

OT The new van - yes it is a FIAT
I am using a different van today as the one I had for the last month is in the garage awaiting the insurers assessment to the rear end damage. What more could you want from a newer FIAT van in terms...
96
96

furred hot water pipe
Yes we all go droopy in the heat if not supported, what? I'm not convinced about this to be honest. I remember when we first moved in here and had flow issues in the bath my father trying this sort of...
16
16

Is flexible exterior paint worth the extra cost?
Well, I'm not convinced I had some window sills done witha so called flexible gloss and they are still cracking up, Mind you it was black paint and hence probably got hot. I'm thinking maybe there is...
5
5

HP 2100 pickup Trick
For years I've had HP2100 laser printers dotted around. I think I have three at the moment. Cheap toner reasonable print quality and adequately fast for my needs. But they do get through the rubber...
3
3