Subject Author Posted Replies

Soil plumbing
The chalet bungalow upstairs bathroom. Are there likely to be any issues with arranging a short 45 deg. fall in the toilet waste pipe? The current plan is a vertical outfall terminated at a manifold...
5
5

110mm push fit soil pipe fixings - two fitting methods?
It is a while since I messed around with 110mm soil pipe fittings. Digging a brown OSMA joint out of stock, I find it has a rubber seal inside a collar. First attempt to push in a length of grey pipe...
7
7

Name for Wall Construction
My 1988 house has the upstairs walls made of plasterboard. They are only 2inches thick. There were constructed by using a batten on the ceiling and on the floor and nailing a plasterboard panel to...
15
15

Broken chuck on SDS drill
Something has gone amiss with the chuck on my ageing budget SDS drill (Ferm FBH620 from Screwfix many moons ago): tools no longer twist-and-lock. I've seen fixes online but the prospect of dismantling...
31
31

OT; Speed of virtual computer
A chum has recorded lots of material via his dvr onto an external drive. As the dvr is Linux based, he, or it, formatted the drive with a Linux file system, probably EXT4. He now wants to watch the...
13
13

Repairing an AC unit?
I have previously helped a mate fix his domestic aircon unit but now (some years later) it's stopped working completely. They got an aircon engineer in who declared it as 'non repairable' so he's...
41
41

My Aquarius 1100, old and dearly loved, will not start. It does occasionally and I think the problem is to do with the on-off switch or the door catch. Any ideas?
It also makes a noise when spinning - the bearings?
5
5

Recycling centre - electricals in scrap metal?
Went to the tip and the dedicated skip for electricals had gone, and they were going in with the scrap metal. Just curious, what might that be about? Is the WEEE thing not compulsory?
1
1

Thermostatic valve on bar mixer suddenlt very tight. Triton.
This morning the thermostatic adjuster on the bar of the Triton shower mixer (can't find model number without extensive digging) suddenly tightened right up. I assumed a problem with the knob, but I...
5
5

ADSL filters
The lesson of this tale is if you lose your internet connection* and the phone say in the living room is no longer working the first thing you should do is check the master socket - anyway the one in...
11
11

Plug in rodent repellers
There are some scrabbling noises in the workplace, we suspect rodent activity. Do the plug in repellers work?
8
8

Lidl Quodrocopter drone...
My ?7.50 Lidle drone just flew away and is lost ... :(
4
4

OT - Utter F*****g madness
Possibly a legal requirement? Some footpaths in Derbyshire have a collection box for tolls, the money is trifling and one box I used looked like it had been open for years. I believe allowing people...
11
11

Volvo C70 rear brake pads
Volvo C70 mk 2 2006 - changing rear brake pads. The last time I changed brake pads was about 40 years ago on my MGB, and things seem more complicated now. I've got the wheel and caliper off, but I...
1
1

cleaning the cooker
For badly burned on food in pans I use an abrasive brush in my drill. It is slightly abrasive, it may scratch the enamel. Very quick and effective with the pan. are also angle grinder versions
49
49