Subject Author Posted Replies

SDS core drill arbor - taper fit guide drill
I bought a set from ToolSatan, all from the same manufacturer to hopefully get compatibility. Mexco DCX90 cor drill and Mexco 250mm SDS adaptor pack. The guide drill in the pack is a taper fit. 10mm...
3
3

another smoke alarm thread.
Which reminds me, A smoke alarm here has a strange fault. This makes the sounder very quiet, and it can only just be heard. Tap the box and it bursts into life. I think it might have got a foreign...
6
6

Re: Australia Wilts From Climate Change. Why Can't Its Politicians Act?
They have no equivalent to RADA. :-) Brian

Smoke alarm problem
I found a smoke alarm that was lying around the house, and I cheerfully nailed it up on the first floor landing. Unfortunately, it goes off if we use the shower and forget to close the bathroom door....
14
14

Win10 latest update
My Win10 laptop announced this morning it was installing a new update, so I let it get on with it. It seemed it was not that large an update, for several minutes later it rebooted, then announced it...
8
8

Painting Problem
I'm at a loss! I've just repainted the garage side door and the paint hasn't covered correctly - particularly on the plywood panel. The old paint was burnt off - the door sanded down and then...
3
3

Best Newsgroup Programme now
What do people recommend nowadays. I only look at this one.
7
7

Quick check - hole size in wall for 40mm waste pipe
Looking at diamond drill sizes they are 38mm and 52mm, so logically you use a 52mm core drill for 40mm waste. Just double checking as it seems like a lot of over size. Presumably it makes it easier if...
10
10

Bridges Lathe
Picked up a 1950s Bridges tabletop lathe. The machine itself looks reasonab ly well made, though obviously a basic 'utility' model. But the workpiece i s driven by a clamped electric drill. Any...
10
10

Treated Timber
Its usually pressure treated - so the treatment penetrates a few mm into the wood. So as long as you don't sand too heavily it will retain some treatment. (although don't breathe the dust!)
12
12

OT: telling
From Twitter today - an author who went to a discussion between Jezza and Varoufakis at the Edinburgh Int'l Book Festival: "I've always felt Corbyn is maligned by the mainstream media, so I went to...
6
6

twice bent garden fork
I bent a tine on my garden fork whilst abusing it years ago. Straightened it in the vice and used it gently since. I caught it on a stone the other week and bent the tine again, without enough force...
3
3

Screwfix Turbo Ultra - discontinued? (But not in Germany)
I have just noticed that Screwfix seem to have discontinued their "Turbo Ultra* range of stainless steel screws and they really don't seem to have anything to replace them. I know they're not perfect...
1
1

SOT : Car central locking repair.
My '04 Xsara Picasso has a fault with the central locking. For some time the remote hasn't worked, but that's no biggie, the car isn't used much. Now, however, even using the key one rear door and the...
24
24

The Ikea kitchen sink plumbing thread - with a strong hint of cowboy
Pictures to follow, but I thought I would get the ball rolling. The waste pipe from the sink is leaking. On close inspection there is a flexible pipe leading outside which joins into a compression 90...
14
14