Subject Author Posted Replies

Kettling boiler
Our CH boiler sometimes (say once a week on average) starts kettling when it turns on in the morning. While it's doing this, the radiators aren't getting warm and the 'output' pipe from the boiler...
7
7

Back to the extract fan and humidity
The extract fan with a humidity sensor, I mentioned in an earlier thread and the logic of its operation. It has a PIR, which normally triggers the fan into running, but... Should it also begin to run...
3
3

Converting cordless to corded
Hi All I have a Graco paint sprayer and cutting a long story short am thinking of converting it to corded. I have looked online and it seems at least for drills this seems doable how ever the ones I...
23
23

Kettle base standard ?
I have been given the base upon which a fairly modern kettle stood, with it s cable and 13A plug. It has a protruding round shrouded socket in the cen tre, which is to convey power up to its kettle....
20
20

[OT} They are getting better at it
Two nuisance incoming phone calls in the last couple of days to the never-used land line. Heavy Indian accent, telling me that he was from the technical department of BT and that there was a problem...
38
38

Indirect combination cylinder
Hi I have a 30 year old indirect Combination hot water cylinder which needs to be replaced. It has been suggested that I have more modern tank installed as these are no-longer normally use. Question...
2
2

Slightly OT: Induction hob top
I have a Bosch induction hob, with a black Schott Ceran glass top. Sometimes, I need to 'swirl' a pot on the hob, to move stuff around in the pot stop it sticking to the bottom. At the moment I use an...
40
40

Windows!!
Can some knowledgible person explain how to stop W7 pro from throwing a hissy fit whenever I try to open an open source file saved in odt? I'm using open office 4.1.3
15
15

Fan humidity sensor type
Our bathroom fan, is a PIR or humidity sensor operated, which I have set to run for 20 minutes, once triggered. The humidity level is adjustable 90 to 40%, but it seems not to respond. It was set at...
10
10

EICR
I spotted this 5 year old installation. Why not just make MCBs that cannot allow this to happen? Third MCB from the right, the terminal on the very right is the RCD.
6
6

OT: Rebellion of plants, no more oxygen
How would you greenie treehuggers like it if the government of plants decided they'd reduce their oxygen emissions? We need it to breathe. They need CO2 to breathe.
22
22

PABX wiring issue
I have an ageing panasonic PABX that is capable of feedi9ng either straight POTS or digital p[hones. To feed a POTS its uses two wire extenbsion cabling and a master socket with ring cap. To feed...
15
15

OT Are these people mental or what?
The Shetland islands often appear in a box on maps to 'avoid publishing maps which are mostly at sea' but islanders claim this produces a geographically inaccurate map.
21
21

smart meter portability
SMETS1 meters must either be upgraded to enable portability, or replaced with SMETS2 meters by the end of 2020, about 1/3 of existing SMs are expected to need replacing.
10
10

Holding spectacle frame screws
Metal spectacle frame screws, the ones that clamp the lens in the frame by closing the frame at the hinge end of the frame. So small that they are hard to even get into the hole, partly because the...
25
25