Subject Author Posted Replies

DIY: Removing fire surround
Anyone any ideas how to remove one of these preferably without destroying i t? Others I have seen usually have two brass plated mirror plates either side which are sometimes sunk into the plaster with...
5
5

Boiler
After lots of checking a Heating Engineer has decided a mate's heating system has a partly blocked boiler heat exchanger. Likely? 12 - 15 years old. Has been pressure cleaned a couple of years ago.
20
20

TV heads up: New materials ...
Maybe an antidote to "Made in Britain" ? Still slightly padded, but quite fascinating. Documentary. Designer and engineer Zoe Laughlin explores the world of material science, uncovering the...
28
28

Landrover series 3 wheel nut threads
Many years ago in 1975 and 1976 I drove on my own, from UK to Abu Dhabi, wh ere I worked for an oil company. I used series 3 Landrovers on both trips a nd, knowing there were a few patches of sand in...
7
7

Best/easiest to D-I-Y glass replacement plastic?
We have a small steel boat and I'm removing and replacing the windows in order to clean up the corrosion around them. The existing windows are laminated glass 4mm thick and they are a pig to replace...
21
21

How many thungs can you do wrong designing an underfloor heating mixer?
Bearing in mind this is the cheapest assembly I could get - and the hydraulic components are all standard (and look of sufficient quality). Other units with similar components cost twice the price...
3
3

Why do cars "bong!" when you crash?
If you've watched a lot of youtube videos of accidents, you'll have noticed some cars tend to make a noise (ping, bong, something like that) as they crash. What is the point of this? To wake you up?...
54
54

Suzy Lamplugh and GPR
How come the police don't use ground penetrating radar for initial body searches, instead of digging - or perhaps they do and it is never mentioned?
38
38

Li-Ion batteries
I've got some very good 18650 Panasonics - 3Ah, but there seems to be nothing worth getting at the 14500 (AA) size. I thought LiIon was meant to hold more power per volume, which is certainly true of...
18
18

Volt sticks+
Searching today, all my volt sticks seem to have diffused away from their usual storage spaces so I need to get some more. Does anyone have recommendations? Not being a professional sparks, I tend to...
28
28

OT: From Twitter today
"Austria abstains on a UN pact on migration. You may think they?re right. You may think they?re wrong. But they?re a sovereign state, entitled to their own decision, right? Wrong, says Juncker:...
25
25

burnt electric car??
Is that an electric car at 0.11????? still going...no it's not being towed ......sorry brian gaff not for you....
3
3

Problem with my Greenstar 24 ri
Changed a radiator on my system and now the heating isn?t working . The flow pipe feels warm but then quickly cools down . I had to drain system to change radiator but I have re filled and bled all...
4
4

Timber and damp report 'needed'. East Lancs.
A condition of a recent commercial mortgage is that we get a timber and damp report done. I might get one done one our home too, as we're thinking of selling in the not too distant future So if anyone...

Freesat box problem
Check the connectors, cable etc. Also check dish hasn't moved or been obstructed- we've had issues with a bush growing up (our dish is low down).
9
9