Subject Author Posted Replies

Laptop salvage (update)
... not being completely convinced, I popped the laptop in the car with a note to drop into the first "Computer repair" shop I passed (there seem to be a few around). Sure enough, popping out this...
1
1

LED tubes
Looking at the LED replacement tubes TLC have on offer, I can find no mention of the life. Except 3 years - which means not a lot to me. They do have a three year warranty, though. Why is the more...
44
44

What was this device?
It was an item in a charity shop and the staff didn't know what it was.. About 12" square and an 1.5" thick, opening out clam shell style to double that size, white plastic with some black parts. Each...
27
27

Prisoner with belt/strap
In a 1990 drama (Trial and Retribution) a prisoner serving time for murder, was fitted with a clip on belt and over the shoulder strap, to be interviewed by his solicitor un-supervised. The belt was...
10
10

silicone grease for plumbing
I need to buy silicone grease for seals for a replacement shower cartridge - what should I buy and where? Screwfix don't sell it. thx
14
14

Seasonal, extremely naive, electrical/wiring question
We have some Christmas lights in the form of little brass lamps. They're about 20 years old by now. Even I like them, but -- and this is the point -- they are my wife's "favourites". Two bulbs have...
34
34

Fabricating long bolt replacements?
Hi all, I'm trying to help a friend with something on his motorbike. He has bought some second hand 'engine bars' but they didn't come with the two 'longer' engine bolts that would typically have come...
15
15

Mini tubes of wood glue?
My little plastic bottle of EvoStik wood glue only gets an outing every 6 months and each time the nozzle needs carefully cleaning out or it dries out. Is it possible to get mini tubes of PVA wood...
17
17

Terminal laminator?
Lights on, rollers get hot, drive motor dead. No broken bits in drive train. All thermostats and fuses okay (including thermal fuse). Time to bin it or is it worth looking closer at the motor? Tim --
7
7

Still no messages
Still it has to be working as others confirm there is a lull. Brian
2
2

Clean an egg Tempera paintring
I have a painting that I created in 1954. I was particuarly proud of it, so much so that it was stuck away in our attic since my marriage in 1964! I want to clean it but do not dare until taking some...

CU spit load internal wiring
Does anyone know the required spec for internal split load wiring in a CU ? I am expanding the number of RCBOs and the split load sections are getting smaller, and the MK supplied cables from main...
6
6

Quad bikes: advice needed
I have a 2 acre garden and it's very steep in places. At the top I'm well above the roof of the house. The path/lane/track is about 1 in 7 at its steepest. I call it a garden but it's mostly grass...
27
27

Cord for reading glasses
As age sets in I need glasses to look at the monitor and to read. I have my glasses on a cord around my neck, Granddad style. I getting fed up of the little clips that attach to the arms of my glasses...
24
24

Video settings - how modern tech fails us ...
Interesting story here: is that modern TV sets seem to default to "action" setting which while great for sports makes films look cheap. Surely the most obvious solution is some sort of simple industry...
4
4