Subject Author Posted Replies

TOT: cookies
Because I searched the other day for 'thick card' I am now getting ads for firms making business cards. They can bugger off. I make my own. Bill
6
6

BS docs again...
I notice that Manchester library no longer seem to have public access to the British Standards docs (unless you want to go there in person, which seems a bit excessive from here). Anyone know of...
9
9

Making curtains.
Quotes for making a given set range between £1400 and £3000... How hard can it be? Sewing machines are cheap. Curtain making labour is not... Material plus linings/tapes looks to be in the sort of...
31
31

Electric toothbrush recommendations?
My dentist suggested that I would be better off using an electric toothbrush, on the grounds that they clean better especially in the gap between gums and the teeth. Of course his practice then tried...
69
69

How many cubic metres of concrete?
We had four 60x60x6cm holes to fill in to support the new charging posts at a HART ambulance station. Now I expected to be asked if I still had my cement mixer and told to call in at Jewsons get the...
31
31

Quality recommendation please
Could anyone comment on which of these is likely to be the better quality? The first is more expensive but seems to have aluminium contacts. The second seems very cheap but has brass contacts. Thanks...
10
10

OT: millennial retailing
I visited a well known department store yesterday (never knowingly undersold) to look at kettles. I found the one we wanted and went to the till. 'Out of stock', she said, 'You can order it on line or...
5
5

Re: Tour de Yorkshire 2019
Like fuck I could.
19
19

Cordless power tools
I want to get a reciprocating saw. I'd really like it to be cordless, but I can only justify this (to myself!) if a set of batteries can be used for the next two or three power tools I replace. Which...
22
22

CTEK Chargers (ping Dave Plowman?)
ISTR Dave mentioning problems with the mode switch on CTEK chargers. Mine seems to be going intermittent. Is it a difficult fix, and are the parts a common generic switch?
12
12

Can you slow down the internet?
Is there a way of simulating slower speeds? I know that many would like to speed it up but this is a serious question! Our daughter is moving into a new flat. In her existing flat she has Virgin Media...
42
42

Bl***y floodlight.
There is a block of flats to the back of my house, and to the right of it. The area leading to the garages has floodlights. SON type, so pretty bright. Seem to be meant to be on from dark to about...
44
44

Fire extinguishers: smoke, fire, and kitchens
All this talk of smoke detectors in kitchens reminded me of something I saw in the US: an automatic retrofit fire extinguisher for domestic use. Two small tins are stuck to the bottom of the extractor...
30
30

Quad bikes: a semantic question
'Bi' means two, so bicycles and motor bikes are called what they are because they have two wheels. So why are quad bikes called quad bikes when they have four wheels? They should be called motorised...
9
9

Synchronous motor question
Most small synchronous motors seem to be rated CW/CCW for clockwise & counter-clockwise. I want one that will run clockwise only. Is it just a question of looking for one that specifically states CW?...
16
16