Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: traitors in high places
I see the Bomber Command memorial has been vandalised again. The memorial salutes the 58,000 people who died so that we could remain free. The memorial has been vandalised four times in six years. Why...
17
17

John C. Bogle, Founder of Vanguard Group, Dies at 89
John C. Bogle, Founder of Vanguard Group, Dies at 89 By Jason Zweig & Sarah Krouse, Jan. 17, 2019, Wall St. Journal ?If all investors had heeded his ideas, they would be hundreds of billions of...

John Rumm - VRC 470F more.
Hi John - still doing battle royal with this and no progress, no conclusion at all.. I wonder if you might do me small favour? Check your The VRC 470F, going into Installer Level> System> Control...
6
6

Light switch is stiff.
I have a couple of wall light switches that are stiff (rocker type), is it worth or safe to spray the mechanism with say graphite lubricant or a case of just replace them.
18
18

Part 18 Surge Protection
Was talking to my cousin on the w/e. He used to be a BT engineer (GPO trained), took the Voluntary redundancy package in 2000 and got a job at local college setting and testing the gear used on the...
6
6

OT: Paper Shredders
I'm having a clear out and have about ten year's worth of various statements to get rid of, a 4" stack. My cheap shredder can just about manage three sheets. I mean, how hard can it be? So what's good...
60
60

Shaver sockets and toothbrushes
I see my shaver socket is marked 'Shavers only' and the new ones have symbols for shaver and toothbrush. According to the manufacturer, there has been a design change. From what I read, the older ones...
14
14

Personal liability for inheritance?
Hi All, IF (Asking for a friend !!::^*>>)) A parent dies and leaves say £100Ks worth of (as yet unsold) house and 10K (spent) of "cash". The estate has no tax to pay. However, if there are two...
3
3

Boots to walk in?
Hi all, I'm looking for a pair of short boots to wear whilst walking the dog(s) in, but may not need (or want / justify) 'walking boots' as such? I was wondering if anyone here had bought some boots...
33
33

suggestions for plumbing waste disposal
Current installation, (Nigh on 30 years old), has dishwasher discharging into waste disposal which in turn discharges into manifold into which sink bowl also discharges. (The manifoild came with the...
14
14

Google and Facebook
Do they share data about us? If I google for something, like the other day I was looking for circular saw blades, when I use Facebook it alerts me to a dozen adverts for that item in the Facebook...
9
9

FCU for bathroom fan in loft
I need to fuse a fan at 3A. I've got a ban against sinking further boxes unless absolutely required so I'd like to stick a 3 pole fan isolator outside the bathroom and put a 2 pole FCU in the loft. 1)...
14
14

[OT] Music CDs
Virtually everything needs some sort of driver as they need to identify themselves to the USB bus.
162
162

space saver
Why is a space saver called a space saver when you have to stow the full size wheel and tyre after a puncture?
1
1

Curtain wire problem - sounds easy but aint!
Old fashioned curtain wire - like a spring/tube with a plastic covering.Hook or eye screws into end of wire, eye or hook screws into wall. Window has plasterboard either side. Someone's attached hook...
14
14