Subject Author Posted Replies

Peculiar Lock Nut
I am just in the process of repairing a fold down bollard which a delivery driver flattened for me. The plank walked past it twice and it is bright yellow but he then promptly reversed over and hooked...
19
19

Wall vs floor tiles
All depends on the tile. The standard thin wall tiles are not very strong in bending, but I'd expect them to be OK in that sort of application. Doesn't the washing machine have adustable feet, though?...
12
12

Hole in joist
Interesting. One of ours has been badly chewed by a squirrel that I ignored for too long. I shall try to somehow check it against that. http://snipped-for-privacy@tesco.net
24
24

Source of Shower Trays
Looking for a 700mm wide by 1200mm long (length not critcal) but I really want a waste that is in the centre of the 700mm end. Any suggestions for a source? If the waste is on the long side then it...
8
8

What to do about that crack at the side of the stairs.
When decorating I'm often asked if there is anything that I can do to stop the crack between the stairs stringer and the wall from re-appearing. I've always said not really, I'll rake it and fill it...
20
20

rcbo neutral and earth tails
I've just finished tidying up the CU so there is space to fit RCBOs in place of MCBs, and it looks quite neat. But then there is a pile of blue and white spaghetti from the few RCBOs that I have...
20
20

making use of Garage loft space.....
Hello all, I have a "semi-detached" garage that is attached to the residence if that makes sense. Its of typical 2.5m by 5.0m long dimensions. It has 5 Fink trusses on it with a stonewold tiled roof....
10
10

Pressure Balancing Shower
Planning to re-fit the bathroom soon. My current Shower Valve is a Mira 415 - Pressure Balancing. It works fine but at 30 years old is looking tired (it has had a couple of new modules). Are there any...

Partly populated consumer unit
Are there blanking plates sold for filling the gaps in partly populated consumer units? Just curious.
9
9

Water level in Car
I topped up daughter's Fiat 500 with some antifreeze (a few weeks ago the level was lot - and I tipped up with water so I was keen to get some concentrate in) I ended up brimming it. Will it matter?...
5
5

OT: Times change
Once a week I make a 42 mile round trip to collect a nine-year-old from school. During the evening his mother makes a 42 mile round trip to collect him from my house. He lives 75 yards from the school...
99
99

OT: Am I just TOO sceptical?
Many of us suspect that the media doesn't always tell us the truth. Maybe that's a bit of an understatement. But here's an example that's of little real importance in itself but maybe indicates how...
36
36

need to power cycle modem remotely
Like a lot of other people with CCTV that can be viewed over the internet, I need to remotely power cycle the modem now and then. Ideas? Bill
47
47

Why no 2 core SWA at either Toolstation or Screwfix?
It seems that no one really believes that using the armour on SWA as the CPC is good idea. However the following (and several other references I've found) seems to say that it is entirely OK for most...
6
6

SWA, where and how to fix on an external wall?
So, I have somewhat changed my plan for feeding power to the new shed (well, it's a summer house really). As per previous questions I was going to run the power suspended from a catenary wire but that...
6
6