Subject Author Posted Replies

Do floating shelves actually work?
I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets. But I see these "floating shelves" advertised. I thought, "What's holding them up?" Apparently there's no right angle involved, just a screw going...
2
2

Help with Windows (computer not glass ones)
For some reason my usual desktop has disappeared? It used to sit there nicely with the icons on it I wanted. Also Thunderbird will only fun on full screen. There is probably more that I have yet to...
6
6

Apprentice with a tape measure problem
A simple job. I left him in a pub car park to measure the length of two fences for an outside socket. 30 minutes later he came into the pub (where I was fixing the CCTV and not drinking) to tell me...
39
39

Gutters and downpipes
Simple job? Don't be silly. Long story short, blocked downpipe [1], but now need new downpipe. The bottom half is original cast iron, and a short test length of modern plastic 68mm pipe is a bit...
8
8

Orientation of bib taps?
Just to be clear, I'm talking about combining these two parts: Compression Wallplate Elbow 15mm x 1/2" <>Hose Union Bib Tap with Double Check Valve 1/2" DZR <>I was under the impression that if you...
31
31

Health and softy gone mad!
I saw this on a bag of salt by someone's door (the stuff for stopping it being slippery in winter): "In case of ingestion, drink plenty of water and seek immediate medical assistance." For SALT?! I'd...
166
166

Baxi Neta-Tec fails Calibration
Long shot here, perhaps? This boiler has no error codes but flames out with what looks like insufficient gas on a modulated lowish output and purges before restarting. Placed the boiler in calibration...
1
1

Rotten Apple?
Son has sent me a message to subscribe to his photo album while he is on holiday. I click on the subscribe link, and it wants my Apple ID. To get an Apple ID, it appears I have to have an iSomething....
24
24

OT: splitting PDF files
Why are there all these online sites to upload, split and download PDF files? It seems to me all that is needed is to send the relevant pages to the virtual printer as a PDF file.
18
18

Consumer Units with RCBOs
Yes, discrimination. AFAICS no time-delay / 100mA RCDs are available as RCBOs, so you'd need to allow for a 2-module time-delay RCD and an MCB for the garage - if they're available in BG. Also someone...
72
72

Crocodile roller shutter style garage door
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type bloke, but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical electrical/mechanicals. Today it opened further than it is...
9
9

What's available to remotely switch a power circuit?
The other possibility is to use one of the smart slave N way sockets with a master socket intended for TV/PC so that one off all off. The snag with all of the ethernet smart devices is that every now...
27
27

Problem with Hozelock garden sprayer
Have a Hozelock pump sprayer (5L) which is 20+ years old, and no pressure, so bought a service kit and replaced various washers etc. However, there is now plenty of pressure, but all that comes out of...
5
5

Nuisance calls
Over the last 2 weeks I've had a few calls to my mobile from normal looking numbers, some land line, some mobile. All I hear is a recorded Chinese female voice (in Chinese) with background music.
90
90

overboarding for shower tray.
For the life of me I cant remember when I done the shower room. Now doing the main bathroom. Putting down a resin shower tray and on to wooden floor boards (not chipboard), do I overboard the wooden...
3
3