Subject Author Posted Replies

Air-con installation quote
I’ve just asked for a quote for a 5kW split air/air heat pump for air conditioning and heating. The quote is for a Mitsubishi unit and is a smidge under £2500. Is this in the right ball-park or...
4
4

Water-based paints - They are crap
Just been painting the woodwork in my mancave and for quickness sake decided I would depart from my usual choice of solvent based paint. I have been using Dulux water-based quick-dry paints and they...
13
13

Thomas Sanderson blinds.
How do you remove a Thomas Sanderson electric roof blind, The blind is not fully returning to the open position and is in a slanted position when stopped, Thomas Sanderson are not interested as the...

Can electricity conduct through a fine spray of water?
If there was a fine mist being sprayed (like you get from something you spray plants with), and there was a live wire somewhere in the mist, could it jump through the spray to a grounded point?
93
93

Raindrops creating electricity?
Raindrops creating electricity? But.... wouldn't you be better sticking a solar panel there? I assume you can't have both? Or could one fold up when not in use?...
80
80

solar panels - read the threads , still a simplevquestion.
I have read through the threads. My OH is obsessing about solar panels - looking to get a battery system. Me not so keen, I dont want a smart meter our current digital one works for me and we send the...
44
44

Glue that holds wood on to Wet Bathroom Tiles
Have put up a wooden bracket to hold a shower head in the bathroom. With the wooden frame i used hot glue to stick it to the wall tiles. But it keeps coming undone. I guess condensation is creeping in...
5
5

How do I clean gravel?
We've had someone in to redo our pond. There's been a pond on site since time immemorial - as far back as the oldest OS maps on the NLS - but it was redone badly. The original pond was filled in in...
7
7

White silicone sealant - anti mould.
What's the best silicone sealant for a shower? Mould is an issue and I can't improve ventilation.
13
13

Door Hinge Adjustment nonsensical
Our Solid wooden front Door expands in damp weather and then rubs against the frame, then it dries out in dry weather and is alright again. During this recent dry weather period i painted around the...
3
3

What's the opening part of a window called? ... can you buy them separately?
I want to replace just the opening part of a wooden framed window, i.e. the bit that holds the glass (with glazing bars in this case) with hinges attaching it to the frame. So what is this called and...
6
6

Curtain Tie Backs
have about a dozen of these tie backs at about £15 a pop,and all have now deteriorated to this state. Onle these knobs are affected the actual rope is all fine. Any suggestions as to repairs Any...
2
2

Time for a re-think about PSTN/POTS?
I have Plusnet for phone and FTTC at about 1km straight-line from the nearest Cabinet. I plan to rely totally on a mobile using a *smart phone as a wifi hotspot. Unlimited calls/texts and some data...
37
37

How to use wooden beads in steel windows? (AKA F'ing Magpies!)
Over the last few years I've been restoring quite a lot of 30s steel windows and fitting thin DG units. They've been faced with putty but the F'ing Magpies keep eating the putty! Trying to catch the...
8
8

Finishing oak bannister etc
Hi all A good few years ago we had an oak and glass staircase fitted. Essentially oak handrail, base rail and newels with glass between. We couldn't decide on what to finish it with so left it. We are...
3
3