Subject Author Posted Replies

Windpower
Anyone see the irony of the recent power cut? We are told by Turnip etc that wind power has no place in generating our energy. As the wind doesn't blow 24/7. Yes when we have a technical failure of a...
224
224

How to level vanity unit.
See attached image. What would the recommended best option for levelling this vanity unit. It is approx 1cm out of plumb from back to front. Use some shims to level. Trim the bottom to fit. Add a...
11
11

Can Building Control over-ride planning permission?
The steps from our kitchen into the side passage are like that, although they are only 3 risers high. It feels quite safe, without a handrail. With four risers, you may feel much happier with a...
56
56

Power cut
Anyone affected by it?
121
121

what power failure ?. Its fine in Sussex
Not sure what is going on but everything is normal in West Sussex.
72
72

Power Line Adapters and degree of separation
Leaving aside the downsides of Power Line Adapters, I do have a spare pair (courtesy of VM) and a potential use. I have power from the house to the shed on a B40 RCBO in the main fuse board. At the...
8
8

Building regs/Minor works certificate?
I have had a new en suite shower room installed by professionals and a building regs certificate has been issued. The work obviously included new lights and a fan. Should I expect a minor works...
6
6

KItchen Ring Extending
I've been updating the kitchen ring and came to a point where it was ready for testing. Most of the sockets are ok (3 lights on the socket testing device) I put the testing device in the left hand...
24
24

UPnP/DLNA oddity ?
Running minidlna from a Debian server. Worked fine for 4 years with LG TV. All of a sudden, it's started dropping playback and disappearing off the network for ages. But *only* on the TV - other UPnP...
7
7

Weight measurement to computer input?
Peeps, I would like to read the output of a strain gauge (measuring weight (0-5kg) in this instance) from a PC as part of a general experiment but not sure what bit does (and maybe limits), what. So,...
25
25

Faulty Siamp Valve
We've got a fountain coming out of the top of the toilet's Siamp valve when it refills. Is it new valve time, new part time, or is there an adjustment to make? The diaphragm, as far as I can see, is...
1
1

How can I expand a link in a steel chain to pass bike lock through?
I've bought a 1m length of chain to secure my bicycle in the garage, as the standard bike coil cable lock isn't long enough. How can I expand the end links to accommodate the bike lock? The diameter...
16
16

How do you give directions to the fire service when you do not know what road you are on?
Basically between two villages. No houses, no pubs nothing (apart from a field on fire). You know the names of the villages and that is all. Could the phone operator not work it out?
60
60

OT: Large format ereaders
Anyone got one? How do they compare with a standard Kindle for legibility? My mother has macular degeneration but has managed to keep reading her Kindle until recently. Just wondering if it might be...
7
7

Painting Problem
Eldest daughter and Son-in-Law have a problem with painting some walls and a ceiling, mainly the latter. The room was previously painted- looked like ordinary emulsion. Condition of walls wasn't great...
13
13