Subject Author Posted Replies

Combined back boxes
Owing to limited wall space in certain areas of my kitchen rewire I need to get various sockets and switches in line with each other and as close as possible. I have come across a number of back boxes...
19
19

H&M Powermaster transformer/controllers
Thanks for all the useful comments regarding flexes and earthing. I have three Powermasters, one slightly newer, with PVC flex (old colours) and two older, with woven covered rubber flex. Tested the...
7
7

Mixer shower question (water delay)
Image link below: The mixer taps on shower are having a delay (approx 20 seconds) when the water is turned on then runs ok so suspect either the filters are blocked or the cartridge is at fault....
1
1

OT Groundworkers handwriting
File:Groundworker.jpg - DIYWiki
14
14

40mm diamond drill
Just to say that my diamond encrusted drill arrived from China pretty quickly. It was lightweight and rather flimsy, but I didn't expect top quality for under £2. It quickly made a nice neat hole...
7
7

Cable tidy for desk top - quality and hole size?
I'm now trying to source some nice round cable tidy fittings to go into the bespoke desk top. First issue is that there are so many very similar products. <>How to tell which are good quality and...
1
1

Changing a mains lead
Been playing with an old toy train transformer/controller (H&M Powermaster, for those with long memories), circa 1960, 0-12v DC output, up to 2.5 amps. The mains lead, woven outer (like an iron)...
12
12

UK Free kindle books
I have been a regular user of this site, which until recently had loads of free books. Now they are virtually all chargeable, why? Am I doling some thing wrong?
2
2

Train Truckers - Immingham to London by road
Why take a 170ton new special tamping machine all the way from Linz in Austria by rail to catch a ferry all the way to Immingham, and with the eventual destination London - take it by road from...
26
26

Sarking felt and new flue
Had a new boiler relatively recently and the new flue went through a new hole in the roof. What should have been done with the original sarking felt? It appears a hole as been crudely cut and it is...
3
3

LED panel ceiling lights
Earlier I asked about downlighters and several replies suggested LED panels, having experimented with a few types of downlighters I'm unimpressed so want to explore the options with LED panels. The...
74
74

The GRP roofing project
The job is done! For anyone else contemplating this flat roof solution, I found the advice and videos at helpful. Minor panic at 7.30pm yesterday with overnight showers forecast and the gel coat not...

Dyson scraps electric car project saying it is 'not commercially viable'
I had my own suspician when a tinker mechanical gdget company tries to enter highly technical and long gestation_return project like Electric car. Hope the guy has come down from his dream castle to...
41
41

I see we have a new Sock Puppet on here!
His name may change but he uses ao. to post his inane blithering. Brian

Water in gas
How can this happen? A burst water pipe caused problems that left hundreds without gas in Wirksworth earlier this week. More than 900 homes were were affected when water from a burst main entered the...
8
8