Subject Author Posted Replies

Quick question on wiring regs
Situation: I'm making and fitting kitchen floor cabinets around a cooker and have knocked-off the plaster from the area behind one of the cabinets so I can get it a little further back (yes, I should...
4
4

new phone line
Just been at daughter's house, to which she's just moved in. OpenReach installed the phone from a socket on the router rather than straight off the incoming copper pair.
15
15

Slot drain requirements
Hi all, Finally getting around to doing our patio. The builder laid a concrete slab around 100mm below finished floor level and installed the drains ready for the tiling when we were ready. We have a...

Lighting circuit taken off 13A cabling
Some time ago I had a problem with one of the lighting circuits tripping an MCB and then the RCD. This was traced to the garage, and to save further time and money the lighting cable to the garage was...
13
13

RCD protected socket outlets in offices
Hi All, I work for an NHS trust. One of our buildings has just had a major refurbishment including a complete rewire…. We now have floor boxes feeding network snd power to most desks and the power...
21
21

Quality proof reading
"Quailty kitchens just got cheaper" Shop B&Q for your dream kitchen. Transform the heart of your home with a new kitchen from B&Q, with great quality products and expert designers. Shop B&Q for your...
10
10

Needed: Car experts to fend off grid disaster
Needed: Car experts to fend off grid disaster By David Ferris, 06/12/2023, E & E News One way to understand the kind of problems that can arise between an electric car and the electric grid is to...
4
4

volt stick conundrum
I’m helping out at newly establishing Mensshed. We’ve got and old industrial unit and when we arrived all the lights were working. Alas, now half of them aren’t working. I’ve been looking for...
14
14

Power tools and injuries
Going on from the previous thread, its amazing that more people do not maim themselves with power tools. It used to be normal to walk down a street with people hedge cutting and doing the lawn with...
5
5

Facebook DIY group
Anyone here also signed up to "Old Codgers DIY Shed" on Facebook?
2
2

OT Sometimes you really wonder about people
Some things make you feel very old. While studiously wasting time this morning by poking around some newspaper sites, I came across articles about some people's astonishment at finding out what the...
58
58

Frustration, cussing and swearing and nearly throwing the computer across the room....
Was in the middle of an Internet purchase, had the paypal screen up when the whole screen froze and Firefox shut down in order to do an update. A program update when it must have been abundantly clear...
18
18

Make grilled watermelon
While this may come as a surprise to some foodies, grilling watermelon enhances its unique flavors and texture. This is because heat caramelizes the fruit's sugars, bringing out its sweetness. Searing...
1
1

Tricky electrickery
Why is it the jobs you think are going to be quick and easy, never are? What follows is a rambling tale of woe of a tedious job that kept on giving! So the other day, I had someone round to service...
17
17

bark.com
Why have I never heard of these before? Has anyone here got anything good to say about them, or how they compare to checkatrade or mybuilder?
4
4