Subject Author Posted Replies

How to plumb a towel rail
Hi All, Happy Christmas / Bah Humbug (delete as appropriate). In the olden times, it was recommended to plumb the towel rail into the hot water circuit rather than the heating circuit. What was the...
15
15

Valliant Turbomax Pro F.22 query
Hi All, Hope you're well. Quick recap of my shop boiler woes. (18 year old non-condensor) 2 years ago it broke so I took out the 6 months "guarantee fix" insurance for £300. After about 10 visits and...

More gear than Carnaby Street in the 60s!
A bit of festive amusement, and perhaps something of interest for the engineers here. I have a garage with a roller door which is opened and closed by a motor. A month ago it failed to open, and I had...
6
6

self centring drill bits
Can anyone recommend, by name, a good quality set of these bits. I've got two different lots, one from Amazon and one from Fleabay and they are both dire. Ebay ones are anything but self centreing and...
11
11

Anyone know anything about Japanese (maybe Chinese) furniture?
A lady friend far from here (Edinburgh) has been bequeathed some what look to my eye, from photographs, to be Japanese items of furniture. Age and quality is unknown, but she wishes to dispose of...
4
4

Odd Dyson fault
We have a handheld rechargeable Dyson that mostly works very well. Recently it has started to seem like its battery is dying. It lives on its charger under the stairs all the time but it?s started to...
59
59

OT Musical films
Years ago I had a quite a large collection of Musical films on LP. I would like to indulge and take trips down memory lane. Where is the best place to find them and what is the best media so that I...
20
20

OT Farnborough 1951
Some very strange aircraft here. Aircraft manufacturers long gone. Farnborough highlights 1951, Produced for Shell. Director : Peter De Normanville, Camera : Sidney Beadle. Music : Franz Reizenstein....
28
28

OT: Christmas Cheer
I have just had a very nice bottle of whisky delivered by Amazon. (Actually, all bottles of whisky are very nice, as far as I am concerned, as I'm not a whisky snob/connoisseur. But this one is nicer...
14
14

Moss on roof
Bungalow, back end south facing. I was unhappily on the roof about 5 years ago scrapping and brushing the moss off. The tiles are very rough and are like steel. I'd read that stringing a length of...
77
77

Bailing out the car
The rear footwell was full of water after all this rain. I extracted a few litres of water using the wet and dry vacuum cleaner. I thought I had it all, but then the carpet started looking sodden...
35
35

Hacked mail
Coincidence or....? A few times recently I have had junk mails purportedly from my daughters shortly after contacting them. I post to a number of other folk without this happening. Is it my end...
31
31

OT: Some Things Never Change
"The conflicting interests were incapable of consolidation and neither the Beveridge Committee nor any other could find a solution to the various problems which were raised. The Main criticism of the...
5
5

GRRRR sparkies...
I've just replaced a ceiling light - one of the few left from before we bought the house. I took it off the ceiling, and was shocked to find a single cable connected to it, and another one tucked...
10
10

Impressive
Yes I remember getting a chard of plating in my hand nonce from a so called chromium plated tap. I had my suspicions it was some other material or that the tap had not been clean when the process was...
19
19