Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: Australian fires
On January 1, 2020, the Operational Land Imager (OLI) on Landsat 8 acquired a natural-color image (above) of thick smoke blanketing southeastern Australia along the border of Victoria and New...

Why secure a loft trapdoor in a storm?
Why secure a loft trapdoor in a storm? And what's the roof pitch to do with anything? "Close and secure loft trapdoors with bolts, particularly if roof pitch is less than 30°"
3
3

How to fix these in place?
Plan is to fit timber bars under open stair steps to reduce the gaps to meet BR. They'll be positioned in the middle of the space up-down-wise. But I'm not seeing how they can be fixed. The right side...
30
30

Training a cat?
Hiya, I'd like to train my cat to shit on car roofs - anyone got any tips on how to go about it? I haven't actually got a car of my own (which I suspect may make things a little more difficult), but I...
6
6

Acctim 71837 Higton Sound
I purchased one on these clock through Amazon. When It arrived I was impressed, it looked good ans substantial. Sadly in use it was less than satisfactory, the light was so strong that at night is...
8
8

USB ground loops
I have a portable speaker, with a rechargeable battery, it takes in power via a uUSB, it also offers power out via a USB type A. I can play audio to it over bluetooth, or into a 3.5mm aux socket, the...
7
7

Safe working
My neighbours are having windows replaced today (decent local firm) just looked across and they have a ladder with a stand-off, and have tied the ladder onto .... v v v v v v v v A 22m copper gas pipe...
4
4

Small, surface mount, LED panels - do they exist?
I'm after a small, preferably rectangular, surface mounting LED panel to provide some light in the corner of a room. It will be mounted on a sloping ceiling (not terribly relevant really). I want...
9
9

Cabinet and damp
Against better jusdgement I sucumbed to instructions to have a wall mounted cabinet under the wash basin in the bathroom. Already there are signs of the laminate lifting at the bottom edge due to the...
4
4

Grrr .... printers !!!
When you only print once a month (if that), it seems my HP inkjet is always in need of new cartridges ... presumably because the heads just gum up after prolonged non use. Is there a cheap colour...
39
39

Homebase
I found a "plus" for Homebase, for the first time in ages ... Fitting IKEA smart lamps, I could use a B22->E14 adapter for the 600lm bedside light, but did not have the space to use a B22->E27 adapter...
8
8

OT: Time to Party!
Gentlemen, As you all know, we're leaving the EU at the end of this month and as a gesture of goodwill and reconciliation, Nigel and Richard are throwing a big party outside the Houses of Parliament...
20
20

Resin for replacing rotten wood
Hi, Sadly I've had a condensation problem in the corner of a bay window that wen't un noticed for a good while. Most of the frame is solid, but the core right at the corner has a rotten section....
28
28

What is No 9 coal?
Moving on to another song about mining, 16 tons, what is No 9 coal? Brian
5
5

OT but vaguely scientific - gold in a silver mine
<>I have a persistent earworm from over the holidays, which also has a minor technical irritation. "You better get back, Honky Cat Livin' in the city ain't where it's at It's like tryin' to find gold...
4
4