Subject Author Posted Replies

Blink Camera Batteries
What are the consequences of using batteries other than Lithium in the camera? Just life? I have some recharchable Eneloops
16
16

How to deal with a bit of rising damp?
A cavity wall has a "tide mark" about 200mm above the floor. The wall was originally an external wall but, as a result of building an extension, is now an internal wall. The wall has a 1930s DPC and...
17
17

Ceiling pendant
Any ideas for a suitable permanamt fitting to attach to the ceiling that allows a pendant to easily plug into it - without needing to use chsock blocks and make new screwholes in the ceiling whing the...
14
14

Amateur radio - maintaining the technical standards
In the group, rsgb-workshop, those who might be considered to be the bell-wethers of amateur radio are bemoaning the decline in technical standards, especially among USA Extra class licensees who know...
32
32

Source of unusaul Lampholder?
The missus got hold of a ceramic lamp base at a jumble sale for 50p because the pattern on it matches the dinner service on the dresser. At the moment it looks a bit too like an urn for ashes for my...
7
7

Best sharpener for ceramic kitchen knives?
I have a ceramic knife that I use a lot but it?s definitely beginning to lose its edge. Are they worth sharpening, and if so, what?s the best tool? Diamond file? If so, what grade? Tim
8
8

Flexible engine mounts for diesel engined water pump
Ive been asked to replace the flexible mounts on a portable water pumpset, which is most likely an ex firefighting unit is mounted in a carry frame and the engine/pump coupling housing bears a stencil...
3
3

Cooker connection -
Hi, 1) Unless the manufacturer says otherwise, is it still considered the "done thing" to use suitably sized T+E for the final connection to a freestanding cooker, on the basis it doesn't move much?...
13
13

Compressor for 80psi bus tyres, painting etc
Which compressor shall I buy? Main job is to pump up my old bus tyres to 80psi ish, the cheap aldi compressor only goes up to 40. Another job is possible paint spraying in the house. It's only for...
4
4

BT FTTP throttling
Hi All, I was at a friends house at the weekend and noticed he has 2 white Openreach boxes on the wall, one bigger than the other. The only thing that connects to them (Via CAT5) is what lookS like a...
37
37

What is amateur radio?
To disambiguate the lack of understanding of other contributors ... Q. What is Ham Radio? A. Ham Radio is a technical pursuit for those who are interested in the science of radio wave propagation and...
11
11

German colloquialism
This from a review site ' Ich saß wie nee kuh wenn es donnert,' Literal translation is ' I sat like no cow when it thunders.' Can anyone offer an equivalent English aphorism
13
13

Cooker hood breeze
In our kitchen we have a perfectly ordinary cooker hood vented outside. Trouble is, there is quite a draught from it. It exits into the gap between our house and our neighbours' - which can be pretty...
23
23

OT Has the Earth gained more mass or has the gravitational constant altered?
It's just the wall chaser I used today feels heavier than when I last used it and my weighing scales are playing up? Is anyone else suffering from this gravitational/time distortion?
40
40

Mysterious plug things
Can anyone tell me what these are called? They're a sort of slightly odd distant cousin of the banana plug. red and black sleeves are soft plastic and pull off to reveal a hollow tube with a single...
22
22