Subject Author Posted Replies

OT Bring things back from France
Hi All, I am thinking of heading over to France to buy some items from Leroy Merlin (DIY store) and bring them back. Looking online, the new rules and regulations I find a bit confusing. Has anyone...
9
9

The day it rained forever.
The Beeb can insist that this year is the 'hottest evah on record', but fuck that for a game of soldiers. Currently 14°C, and steady grey overcast with persistent rain. I am reminded of family...
78
78

Philanthropy during a national power failure: a snag
Suppose the whole of the UK's electricity generation and distribution went tits up, and took ages to fix. Those who had their own sources of electricity (genny, solar panels, whatever) might feel that...
20
20

Li-on battery lives again?
Nineteen years ago I retired a spectrum analyser from field work because it was getting a bit long in the tooth, but mainly because it needed a new battery. The analyser was installed on the bench....
8
8

Self healing microwave
In a classic example of “Sod’s law” when the repair man came around to look at our 43 year Toshiba it started working perfectly. Made all the normal humming noises that had been absent before...
14
14

Feedback
I've never sold anything on eBay but I'd like to know if there are tools that the seller can use to modify the categories of feedback one may choose to receive. I bought a second-hand item from eBay....
3
3

Strimmer engine conundrum
A volunteer organisation that I work with has three 4-stroke Honda strimmer/brush cutters like this one. are about 12 years old but have always been easy to start and pretty reliable. Recently one of...
12
12

SOT: surge protection
If the surge light is green, does this mean an extension lead is working okay or does it mean a surge has taken place? Do these units last for ever or are they destroyed if a major surge takes place?
14
14

Lights Saga - Appendix 2
The new kitchen LED strip light is up. Poorly thought out fitting as the cable gets in the way of the clips but it is so light I think it's OK. I now need to sort the chandelier out - this has the...
5
5

Odd stains on render
Hi all, We have jet washed the rendered walls around the patio ready to finally paint them. They seems to have some staining on them but not sure what it is. I have uploaded a photo here have any...
4
4

Economics of replacing 5ft and 6ft fluorescent tubes with LEDs
The recent discussion about lights has pricked my conscience (again!) about the workshop lights, some of which are on several hours per day. I have 2 pairs of modern 6ft lights and one pair of elderly...
27
27

eBay auto fanatisism
I am currently finalising the sale of a piewce of equipment to a bidder woth whjom I have exchanged a few questions and answers. Yesterday, in one reply I was a bit verbose rather thamn be abrupt and...
6
6

patio cleaners
Are any of thoes proprietary patio cleaners worth a curse?
10
10

First the dishwasher, now the microwave…
After a mere 43 years of service our Toshiba ER-672ET has just stopped heating stuff. Lights on, countdown timer working, turntable rotating but instead of the normal hum when the magnetron is...
36
36

Sliding patio door, sticking, how to adjust/access?
We have a sliding patio door which has taken to sticking and also getting itself off its track. It's fairly old, wooden frame, double glazed. I can see no way to take it apart or adjust it, is this...
9
9